Unable to calculate path

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Beszot
Poland

Re: Unable to calculate path

Post by Beszot »

Milu23771 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:27 am What a sight, starting to know this device you realize that perhaps it is really well done. But I wanted to ask you more experienced than me, if by turning the imported track into a route, you can somehow keep some intermediate Waypoints, or the journey will necessarily be beginning-end. Hi guys and thanks for the info
Hi

I have the same issue - from my point of view and experience it is the fail of ZUMO. When I start with ZUMO, navi calculated tracks to routes without any problems. Keep waypoints - on topo map, oon gravel, on dirt roads, on tarmac.
But after some time - he calculate tracks (own tracks, made by ZUMO) to routes only with start and end.

I described problem and garmin replaced ZUMO.
But after some time... issue back. AND garmin replaced Zumo another time.
I have in my hands third new ZUMO and... he don't keep in memory choice of country (first step when you run Zumo first time). So I m close to make third mail to garmin.

From my point of view concept of ZUMO was perfect but stuff is garbage.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I am most surprised that they replaced the unit because of that. It seems to me that replacing the unit seems to be a good way of not having to spend any more time understanding or investigating the problem further.

Tracks do not contain Waypoints. (Assuming that you are using the correct definition of the term 'Waypoint').
So it seems to me that it is impossible for the Zumo to create a route containing Waypoints from a track that does not contain them.

I think that we have hit a language barrier - we are understanding the terms 'Route', 'Track' and 'Waypoint' differently.

New Zumos have to have been used in a vehicle for them to keep some of the settings like 'country'. (It doesn't work to just go out for a walk with them).

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Beszot
Poland

Post by Beszot »

Yeah, language - english is my third. Weak side...
tracks have multiple waypoints. each crossroad is 1 waypoint, any change of direction is the waypoint. call waypoints any name, point, dot, or whatever. waypoint is the core of gps track.

track - is the simple path of waypoints, dots. Chain of gps points made by gps. Is the path made by dot pencil on paper map.
Route - is the something what ZUMO made from track. Track is information about desired way of trip. Route is what ZUMO offer to biker. (i know they are hidden waypoints, only for keep route right, and announced waypoints, visible. For make route both make the same - line of desired way of trip) Route can be modified when biker evade waypoint, road is closed or something. ZUMO calculate new route - but should do this keeping most of waypoints from track "alive"

Important - I use tracks made by the same ZUMO! And he can't calculate them right way.

Country - is the first step when you use ZUMO XT first time. language which you use. And MY THIRD ZUMO DON"T remember this! Need chose each time after restart. Each time ZUMO awake like after erase.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

OK

Ahh - Ok.

If English is your third language, I am very impressed.

Your use of the word waypoint is not correct - but that does not matter. Now that I understand what you mean, I will go back and re-read your posts, see if I can suggest something.

Country. They have sent you a 3rd new Zumo. Have you travelled with this new Zumo in the car or on the motorcycle yet ?

Mine did that when I first got it. We were not allowed to go out except for a walk. So I took the Zumo for a walk. Each time I turned it on, it still asked for information as if it was brand new. After I had taken it out in the car, it worked properly.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Beszot
Poland

Post by Beszot »

Strange. Ill check this.

Languages - when I was boy, we were forced to learn russian. later I chose french. Most useful english was the last. But global culture is build on english, so if live, you learn english in each breathe. :-)

UPDATE - yes - after one drive Zumo save initial options finally. But why they don't tell nothing in manual about this?
Last edited by Beszot on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

This is normal. Walking speed will give this behaviour, it's the same for all Garmin On the road devices, you need to drive over a certain speed to get it to retain the country etc settings.