Internal Storage

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Internal Storage

Post by sussamb »

Clear as I can make it I'm afraid. Many manage to cope with it though ;)
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:25 pm Clear as I can make it I'm afraid. Many manage to cope with it though ;)
So, your telling me "that's just the way it is"? You're saying many find it acceptable to have 14 routes that they did not put there on their gps? And many find it acceptable that they can't ever permanently delete any unused routes from their gps? And that many find it "perfectly normal" that their gps loads and reloads over & over those same routes from wherever the heck they're getting them from without being instructed to do so?

Surely you aren't telling me these things b/c frankly, all of it sounds like "I don't know the answer so I'll baffle them with big words and technology IT solutions".
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

1. Connect your Zumo to your Windows 10 PC.
2. Start File Manager.
3. Navigate File Manager to the Zumo.
4. Search for *.gpx using the Quick Access in the upper right of File Manager.
5. Select each .gpx type file and Delete.
6. Navigate to the Zumo-SD card.
7. Repeat steps 4. & 5.

8. Start up the Zumo.
9a. For Z66x and earlier: Tools>(page down>My Data>(page down)>Delete Route(s)>Select All>Delete
9b. For Z565: Apps>Trip Planner>Delete Trips

PS You can ignore Current.gpx as the Zumo recreates that file as an accessible copy of Zumo private memory every time you connect the Zumo to your PC. You can import that file or look at it in BC, for example, if you want to copy the breadcrumb tracks.
Last edited by dave726 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

@rbentnail

dave726 has confirmed the steps, I tried to explain it so you understood why. Fact is it is what it is as that's the way it's evolved, as I explained. The routes are there because you did put them there, you just didn't understand the consequences. Those of us who have done this for a while understand how it all works. If you're not happy with it just create the routes in the Trip Planner app on your device then you won't have to deal with any of the other issues.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

dave726 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:57 pm 1. Connect your Zumo to your Windows 10 PC.
2. Start File Manager.
3. Navigate File Manager to the Zumo.
4. Search for *.gpx using the Quick Access in the upper right of File Manager.
5. Select each .gpy type file and Delete.
6. Navigate to the Zumo-SD card.
7. Repeat steps 4. & 5.

8. Start up the Zumo.
9> Tools>(page down>My Data>(page down)>Delete Route(s)>Select All>Delete

PS You can ignore Current.gpx as the Zumo recreates that file as an accessible copy of Zumo private memory every time you connect the Zumo to your PC. You can import that file or look at it in BC, for example, if you want to copy the breadcrumb tracks.
I did pretty well through step 7, making the assumption that in step 5 *.gpy is a minor typo. But step 9 sounds like an old nuvi menu, this Zumo 595 has none of that. But none the less, that's the ticket dave726!

I went to Apps/Trip Planner/Delete Trips and the only one visible is the current one I put there. So then I Cancel, Menu (hamburger button :) )/Import. None of the other trips that were clogging up my brain and gps are there!

So, then a test. I connect back to my computer and let Garmin Express establish comms. I choose to not do an update yet, we all know how long that takes, and close Garmin Express. I open Base Camp, kind of rummage around a bit, dreaming of a a ride to higher, cooler altitudes. La dee dah.... I changed my Zumo Activity to driving the other day in the hopes of not finding railroad tracks and pastures, I do it now in Base Camp. More la dee dah, so far dave726 has made my day, all seems right so far.

Now the test. This is all I did when the 595 was new, exactly what I have described here, despite others' claims of "putting [files] there". So I disconnect the Zumo from my computer. Apps/Trip Planner/Menu/Import. No Trips Found! WooHoo!

dave 726, dunno when or if I'll ever be in IL again but I owe you one!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Glad you sorted it but it's exactly as I explained it to you. As for 'putting it' there then I'm afraid you did. You may not have understood the consequences of putting your routes onto your card but that's immaterial and if you read through my post you'll understand why it happened ;)
dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

Corrected my typo and added GPS NextGen method of removing old routes.