Analysing Tracks

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
khunpaul
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Analysing Tracks

Post by khunpaul »

Knowing there are some very bright people on this site may I ask the following:

I have over 500 of my hiking tracks in basecamp downloaded from a handheld GPS64 after each walk.
My objective is to analyse them and summarise for my Ramblers group especially showing elevation and gradients as well as distances.
I can slowly do various things in basecamp including making a csv/xls file per track but this is long and boring.

Does anyone know of any free or charged software that will help with this?

Thanks

Paul
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Analysing Tracks

Post by sussamb »

What sort of analysing/summary are you after? Really need more detail before I can help
khunpaul
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by khunpaul »

For my own benefit and for the club, I would like to analyse things like:

1. Walks that include steepest gradient
2. As above plus how far/long those gradients go on for.
3, How many climbs per walk
4. To devise a ranking system for advertising what the walk is like.

For example from rough calculations the seven sisters walk gives one of the best total ascent in the shortest distance. So if you are training for an ascent in say lake district this is a good place to train.

We would then manually add things like weather/mud/cafe stops/hazards etc etc.

There may be other things I could think of but having so much data it is a pity not to use it in some way. I do already use it to plan new walks to lead and tally up my miles but that's about all.

Most of the above can be done within the software but it would be nice to concatenate all data to churn out macro stats.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ah ok, BaseCamp provides some of that but you'd need to analyse each route individually. I don't know of anything that would do it as a batch.