Zumo 660 Screen Brightness Fix

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
menhir
United States of America

Zumo 660 Screen Brightness Fix

Post by menhir »

I've owned a Zumo 660 for several years now and have been very unimpressed with the screen brightness...barely readable in bright conditions and significantly dimmer that other Garmin's I've owned. I bought it as a reconditioned unit from a reputable vendor and, reading a few other complaints along the same line, assumed that it was performing normally, and so I, well, just dealt with it.

I've now come to realize that my particular unit was not a bright as it was actually intended to be after all. In all other respects it suits my purposes so in lieu of replacing it...

Is there a repair or fix available to put in a brighter light? Is the vendor who can do the job if it's not a DIU?

PS: For the record, yes, I have the brightness turned up as high as it can go in the device setting.

Thanks. 8-)
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo 660 Screen Brightness Fix

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Try contacting Palm Doctor. They can give you a quote for replacing the display. They are very good, and reasonable. They repair most out of warranty GPS devices. I've had a 550 and a SP2610 repaired by them.

https://www.palmdr.com/
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
menhir
United States of America

Post by menhir »

Thanks!

I sent an email and the vendor responded in short order.

Alas, he said the only fix is a crapshoot that may or may not solve the problem. It's worked from some people, but not for others. He also mentioned that he's had other complaints about the dimness of the display on other 660 devices so at least I have the cold comfort of knowing that it wasn't just my device. ;)

Since it's already an older GPS, I'll just live with it until it's time to replace it.

I've bookmarked the site though, in case I need their services sometime in the future. 8-)
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

You probably already know this, but just in case...

If you are running on battery and set the brightness, this does not set the brightness for when you are running on external 12v power. That has to be set while the GPS is in its mount and the power is on.

Apologies if this is old news.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
menhir
United States of America

Post by menhir »

Yup, I know that.
But thanks for taking the time to respond.
It's appreciated. 8-)
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

We take standard displays all the time at work and enhance the backlight as well as other options. Sadly this is for around 100 minimum. There maybe some scope to find the OEM part number for the display and see if there is an higher output device
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT