595 Constantly Changing My Route

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Re: 595 Constantly Changing My Route

Post by rbentnail »

Stu wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:28 pm Give it a go now and let me know if it works :)
Ok, here goes!
Linville to Yellow Mtn 1.gdb
(15.82 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Yep, that did it! Thanks!!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

On my Z665, I Tools>Settings>System>GPS Simulator>On then ran your route and it worked perfectly. Try running the Simulator on your Z595 nd see if it messes up like your actual ride did.

Looking at your route,
1. It used to be recommended that the Start and End of a route be true Waypoints.
2. Looking at your route, there is a missing via point as the count of via points is 5, not 6 (Start and End are not counted in MapSource and I don't use BC.). The Oak Grove Baptist Church is missing. Was it your intent to stop at the church? If you zoom in more, you can place your via point on the intersection of Millers Gap Hwy & Road.
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

dave726 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:01 pm On my Z665, I Tools>Settings>System>GPS Simulator>On then ran your route and it worked perfectly. Try running the Simulator on your Z595 nd see if it messes up like your actual ride did.

Looking at your route,
1. It used to be recommended that the Start and End of a route be true Waypoints.
2. Looking at your route, there is a missing via point as the count of via points is 5, not 6 (Start and End are not counted in MapSource and I don't use BC.). The Oak Grove Baptist Church is missing. Was it your intent to stop at the church? If you zoom in more, you can place your via point on the intersection of Millers Gap Hwy & Road.
In my basement, GPS Simulator on, runs the route perfectly. On the road it did not. Original question is probably a moot point now as there's no real way to tell what happened or why. All I know is what I've stated- railroad tracks, cow pastures and fording a river. So be it.

I still get 6 via points in addition to the Origin and Destination. Don't have a clue why it wouldn't show up for you. But I learned a long time ago to never put via, shaping or way points at an intersection b/c

1) if there's a bridge the Garmin will send you in circle trying to get under it,
2) if there's a turn I might not know it b/c the Garmin is flashing "via point" or whatever,
3) etc. Trying to figure out which way to go at an oncoming tee intersection and almost going straight taught me to put points several hundred yards after the intersection. That way my turn instruction & point don't get confused by the gps.

After I make the route in Base Camp I double click it in the bottom left info box, I can then rename, choose activity & color, etc. With the Center Map box checked I right click each point in the list to choose alerting or not and placement of the point exactly where I want it to be. These ase very helpful tips I got from the new england riders tutorial mentioned in several other threads.

I guess I'll just keep plugging away at it and see what happens. Today I didn't ride pre-programmed routes but instead just picked final destinations and using the device rather than Base Camp I shaped the route a little as I went. I quickly learned to start the shaping at the destination and work back towards where I am ;) . Other than that I have no complaints, but this time no railroads and/or rivers were involved.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A