See speedlimits during route planning

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Thomsus
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times
Denmark

See speedlimits during route planning

Post by Thomsus »

Hi everyone.

The major benefit of Basecamp is the ability to plan routes prior to driving. However, I miss the ability to avoid low speed roads.

The Garmin map must have speed limit data included, like all other electronic maps for GPS devices, otherwise route times cannot be calculated by the device. So I want to see the speed limits...

Is there a way to see speed limits on streets? Perhaps on some other electronic map than Garmins?
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Re: See speedlimits during route planning

Post by alan sh »

Maps do not necessarily have speed limits (later ones do) and they may not be used for calcs. In the old days a portion of a road was designated a time to get through it - and the total was just the sum of the times. Not sure how it works now, but probably the same.

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Not sure what you mean by 'low speed' roads but what I've done in various activity profiles is set the speed for various types of road appropriately, so if for example you want to avoid particular types of road set the speed very low, this encourages BaseCamp to avoid them. See Edit, Options, Activity Profile, Routing tab and scroll down to Speed

To help avoid residential streets change the default to, for example, 15. You can of course also set avoidances for certain types of road but that can result in long detours simple to avoid roads, changing the default speed means they are still considered and used instead of a long detour.
Thomsus
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times
Denmark

Post by Thomsus »

Alan, what I was referring to, was the speed limit shown during driving, as an awareness help to drivers. This is not to be confused with the actual speed, that can also be shown, if enabled.
Since the speed limit shown on the device changes as road signs do, the device's map must have data about the speed limit on every road. Like on road X, it knows there's a speed limit of 70 km/h from point a to point b, then from point b to point c a higher limit of 80 km/t, then from c... etc.

Sussamb, that's a good point, I will experiment with these settings.