Annoying screen rotation.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Annoying screen rotation.

Post by sprint »

I have the XT set for Landscape mode, so this is not a problem of the screen switching between Landscape and Portrait mode.

When 'pinching' or 'separating' your fingers to reduce or increase the resolution of the screen it annoyingly very often rotates the screen by around 90 deg's making it very difficult to follow the route. Clearly there must be a rotate function of the screen by a twisting action of your finger, but it seems to be just too sensitive as I am not knowing impairing any twisting action. Is this normal so sensitive or a likely problem they Garmin need to sort out?
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Annoying screen rotation.

Post by TripleThreat719 »

In all likelihood, you are using the pinch to zoom function and zooming out past the point where the XT switches the orientation to "North" up. Same thing happens when you use the + or- button to zoom in and out. Not sure if there is any way to prevent this, but that is my guess as to what is happening in your instance.
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

TripleThreat719 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:57 pm In all likelihood, you are using the pinch to zoom function and zooming out past the point where the XT switches the orientation to "North" up. Same thing happens when you use the + or- button to zoom in and out. Not sure if there is any way to prevent this, but that is my guess as to what is happening in your instance.
Thanks for the reply.

Can you expand a bit on - "zooming out past the point where the XT switches the orientation to "North" up" as I am not familiar with that?

Is there an area on the screen which when touched causes that to happen? In my case the route that I am following when it happens already has the North to the top?
TripleThreat719
United States of America

I made the assumption that you were following the route with "Track Up" orientation. When you are using the GPS in that mode and you zoom out far enough, it switches to "North Up" orientation. Seems to happen at the 30 mile zoom level. When you switch back to the 20 mile zoom level, the device returns to "Track Up" orientation.

When using pinch and zoom, if the Green Banner is still at the top of the screen for an active route, I cannot make the map orientation rotate. However, if I happen to touch the screen and wind up in the panning mode (rather than just zooming), I can then rotate the map orientation by holding my index finger still in one spot and moving my thumb side-to-side below my stationary finger.

Not sure if that is what you are experiencing or not.
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

Thanks for the reply.

The unit is in 3D mode but the issue I am relating to happens whatever mode it is set to, 3D, North Up or Track Up.

However, it's best that I explain the operational mode where I find the issue, as it may well be that I am expecting too much?

I go to Trip Planner and open a Saved Trip and then open the Map (not Go) so that I can view and scroll through the route. In this mode the displayed map seems to be independent of whatever the Diving Map View is set to?

It's in this mode while I am scrolling through the route and using my fingers to pinch to zoom that in doing so the map will very often rotate despite me not knowingly impairing any twisting action as you have described.

I do note, as you have described, that if I hold either my thumb or finger stationary and then move the other that it will cause the map to rotate. It's possible that I am inadvertently doing this, so I will now try to make sure I do not and see if that stops the map rotating whilst I am scrolling through the route.

Can you please explain what you mean by if I happen to touch the screen and wind up in the panning mode (rather than just zooming)
TripleThreat719
United States of America

With an active route displayed on the screen (in track up mode), I can pinch to zoom without causing the green banner at the top of the screen to disappear, just like if I was zooming in and out using the +/- buttons on the screen. You have to be careful when doing this that your thumb and index finger touch the screen at the same time.

However, if i happen to allow just one finger to touch the screen (as if I was selecting a point on the map to drop a waypoint), the green banner of route navigation prompts disappears and you enter a panning mode.

I hope this makes sense. Kind of hard to explain without seeing it.
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

Thanks.

I think I follow your explanation of the panning mode.

I'll see how I get on being more diligent of how I touch the screen with my fingers.