595 Constantly Changing My Route

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: 595 Constantly Changing My Route

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:29 pm Well that's even stranger. Couple of points have already been mentioned but do you have traffic trends on that model? It can often give unexpected results.
Not sure what traffic trends is. I searched through many settings and found a map layer called traffic. Is this what you mean?

While in the map layer setting, I unclicked traffic and custom maps. I also have no idea what custom maps is.
Moose wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:56 am the gps is not set on off road is it
Settings/Navigation/Calculation Mode is not set to offroad. Both Base Camp and the 595 are set to Faster Time.

I also checked, both Base Camp & the 595 are set to the motorcycling activity. Both are using the same version of maps. The route I was trying to follow, by click the route in the bottom right box then the Route Options tab just for that specific route, is also set to motorcycling.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Custom maps would be any maps you've put there, traffic trends may not be a feature on your device, as I don't have one I can't check. If it is there then traffic trends changes a route based on predicted traffic trends to try and avoid traffic hold ups.
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

If you didn't before, check: Setting/Traffic/Optimize Route -> should be set to "On Request' (might be set to 'Automatic' and it wil then change your route if the Zumo thinks there is traffic)
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

mzeist wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:38 pm If you didn't before, check: Setting/Traffic/Optimize Route -> should be set to "On Request' (might be set to 'Automatic' and it wil then change your route if the Zumo thinks there is traffic)
At Settings/Traffic I get

"Smart phone link is required to receive live traffic updates. For more information, go to www garmin.com/traffic."

I did find something similar: Settings/Navigation/Off-Route Recalculation. It is set at Automatic. I changed it to Prompted, thinking it might help.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, just want to say to everyone, Thanks For The Help! My old nuvi 780 worked flawlessly for me and after awhile became one with the grey matter in my head. I expected the Zumo to be different but man! Sorry if I'm being a pain.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
Moose
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Post by Moose »

not a pain it's the way to learn and others here might have the same question and it got answered because you asked
dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

With the Z665 I never used Motorcycle Profile, always "Driving"(BC), "Faster Time"(Z665). That way I didn't get routed to cow paths and railroad tracks.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

dave726 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:38 am With the Z665 I never used Motorcycle Profile, always "Driving"(BC), "Faster Time"(Z665). That way I didn't get routed to cow paths and railroad tracks.
I reflected on this for a while and suddenly realized why Base Camp was such a pain for me in the beginning: off road preferences that weren't in MapSource. Via points have to be exactly placed or BC will send you off road to that point. Kind of what I thought when I was so frustrated on my route in the OP- does this thing think I'm hiking or flying or what?

I'll try driving instead of motorcycling.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:56 pm I did find something similar: Settings/Navigation/Off-Route Recalculation. It is set at Automatic. I changed it to Prompted, thinking it might help.
this is most probably your solution.. When you get off-route it will ask to recalculate, if you say yes, your original route will be gone. If you choose 'no' it will not change, and you have to drive back to your route without guiding from your gps.
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

mzeist wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:02 pm
rbentnail wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:56 pm I did find something similar: Settings/Navigation/Off-Route Recalculation. It is set at Automatic. I changed it to Prompted, thinking it might help.
this is most probably your solution.. When you get off-route it will ask to recalculate, if you say yes, your original route will be gone. If you choose 'no' it will not change, and you have to drive back to your route without guiding from your gps.
But you've hit on THE major problem from my OP- I was never once off route! See, everything was fine from the origin to point # 1. From point # 1 to point #2 I was still on the same road, traveling the same direction but the 595 changed the route I had transferred from BaseCamp to instruct me to go off route. That's the problem I'm trying to solve.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Without the route and seeing what it actually did diagnosing this issue isn't easy. Don't suppose you're able to post the route and explain where it went wrong?

Or is this the same issue as in your other thread, in which case it's resolved?