I’m Totally Out of Ideas

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Tofriendscreek
United States of America

I’m Totally Out of Ideas

Post by Tofriendscreek »

I have an issue I have not been able to solve in a couple of months. I was a member of the former forum, always had good replies and information and am hoping someone might assist me.
First, I use Myroute-app for mapping and route development. Prior to it I used Tyre Travel. I recently purchsed a 595 which replaced a 6 year old 665. Coincidentally, I started using the Cloud version of Myroute-app at the same time I started using the 595.
In short I haven’t gotten any solutions from the “Myroute” crowd. I’m of the opinion, I’m simply missing something, somewhere regarding the 595 - it doesn’t at all follow the custom route after the first waypoint. As I’ve read on another post, the map and all the waypoints are there, their respective relation is in order, the points are on the roads, etc.. When I import the routes, change it to a trip and file it in Trip Planner, all seems good.
But when I pull up the trip, and hit Go, I get a choice of the beginning waypoint and the ending waypoint. On my 665, it would ask me where I wanted to go, I’d hit the trip and off I’d go.
Without all the waypoints listed it’s worthless to stop for any reason somewhere between the beginning and the end of a trip. To do so, again, leaves me with only two options, start or end point. If I pick the end point it takes me in a straight line, not on the route I put in. Again, the 665 acted totally different from the 595.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: I’m Totally Out of Ideas

Post by Stu »

Firstly you would pick the first waypoint

Secondly myroute app will probably route differently to the zumo and also depending on the settings you would get different results

Have you tried to import a route in to Basecamp and see if the route matches the one on myroute?
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Your 665 used route planner, your new zumo uses trip planner. As Stu says you need to pick the waypoint you want to go to first. Your Zumo will then calculate the route to that point and thereafter follow your route. If you select the last it'll again calculate a route to that point. Selecting any intermediate points will take you first there and then follow the route.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

[mention]sussamb[/mention] I think you may have missed the point

Myroute app is a stand alone program for creating routes a bit like Basecamp

The trouble he is having is that when he imports a route its not following it

I have noticed this with other programs due to no shaping points
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes but I reckoned you'd answered that part, I was simply trying to clarify for him how the trip app works so he realises it's different from the route planner on his older device.

I was going to wait to hear back from him, as I get the impression he's not seeing intermediate points on his new Zumo compared with his 665. If that's the case again it'll be the difference between route planner and the trip app. Route planner didn't accept shaping points, so they were all converted to viapoints. The trip planner app does accept them, so if My route app is sending points as shaping points they aren't available to select prior to hitting Go.
Last edited by sussamb on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Ah right ok fair enough :lol:
dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

Myroute and Tyre Travel probably don't generate routes, only via points. When your routes hit the Zumo, it recalculates based on different maps and from via point to via point. It is quite likely your route won't match what you see on 3rd party applications.

Use BaseCamp or MapSource. You'll be using the same maps and routes are generated that include routing between via points so your routes will stay closer to what you see on your PC. [MapSource is not available on a Mac.]

I'm not familiar with trip planners, so YRMV.
Last edited by dave726 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Tofriendscreek wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:22 pm I have an issue I have not been able to solve in a couple of months. I was a member of the former forum, always had good replies and information and am hoping someone might assist me.
First, I use Myroute-app for mapping and route development. Prior to it I used Tyre Travel. I recently purchsed a 595 which replaced a 6 year old 665. Coincidentally, I started using the Cloud version of Myroute-app at the same time I started using the 595.
In short I haven’t gotten any solutions from the “Myroute” crowd. I’m of the opinion, I’m simply missing something, somewhere regarding the 595 - it doesn’t at all follow the custom route after the first waypoint. As I’ve read on another post, the map and all the waypoints are there, their respective relation is in order, the points are on the roads, etc.. When I import the routes, change it to a trip and file it in Trip Planner, all seems good.
But when I pull up the trip, and hit Go, I get a choice of the beginning waypoint and the ending waypoint. On my 665, it would ask me where I wanted to go, I’d hit the trip and off I’d go.
Without all the waypoints listed it’s worthless to stop for any reason somewhere between the beginning and the end of a trip. To do so, again, leaves me with only two options, start or end point. If I pick the end point it takes me in a straight line, not on the route I put in. Again, the 665 acted totally different from the 595.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Sounds very similar to what I experienced. Thread here -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=93. Haven't come up with a solution yet that I can see.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Tofriendscreek
United States of America

Post by Tofriendscreek »

sussamb wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:06 pm I was going to wait to hear back from him, as I get the impression he's not seeing intermediate points on his new Zumo compared with his 665. If that's the case again it'll be the difference between route planner and the trip app. Route planner didn't accept shaping points, so they were all converted to viapoints. The trip planner app does accept them, so if My route app is sending points as shaping points they aren't available to select prior to hitting Go.
Correct, in that when I select the “route” I want from Trip Planner, all of the “points” I have created are listed in the correct order. When I hit Map, the roads are shown correctly. But, when I hit Go, I have only 2 choices under “Select Next Destination,” the first (start) or the last (end) point. If I hit the last or final intended destination, it calculates the route, to that final destination, not at all like I have planned.
And, thanks for your assistance.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

And that's correct. If you want points currently shaping points to be selectable when you hit go then change them to viapoints. You can do that in the trip planner app by touching their symbol in trip planner, they will then change from a dot to a flag.

Otherwise to get your device to follow the route select the first, not last, point. If you select the last your route will be ignored.