Internal Storage

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Internal Storage

Post by rbentnail »

I have a 64gb SD micro card installed. In Base Camp it shows up as Memory Card/User Data. When I "move" a route I've developed in Base Camp to my 595 I simply copy it to my memory card using the drag & drop method. Why then is my internal storage filling up with all these routes? There are routes in my internal storage that I never put there but yet there they are!

I cannot figure out how to delete all this garbage from my internal storage memory. Any tips?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Internal Storage

Post by sussamb »

Are you sure first they are going to the card? Is it formatted FAT32?

If they are going to the card what routes are you seeing on your device that shouldn't be there? Where/how are they showing?

Given that you say 'you've never put them there' what are they? Do they relate in any way to routes you've sent? Are you sure they are routes and not simply the track log that you're seeing?

Sorry for all the questions but it's difficult to know what is happening from your post.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pm Are you sure first they are going to the card?

I believe so. I removed the card and plugged my Zumo back into my computer. Opening Base Camp, I see only Internal Storage and no user memory. Re-inserting the SD Card, then User Memory now reappears in Base Camp. When I click on User Memory I see in the bottom left box all the routes and waypoints I have copied to the SD Card.
sussamb wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pmIs it formatted FAT32?
I think so. I did not have that choice on my laptop but after inserting card into the Zumo and turning on the Zumo, a screen came up saying something like,"new memory found, format?" I clicked YES assuming the device would format the way it needed to to operate properly.
sussamb wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pmIf they are going to the card what routes are you seeing on your device that shouldn't be there? Where/how are they showing?
I plug my Zumo into my computer. I open Base Camp. I wait for the two to establish comms, usually about a minute. In the File box on the left I see all the Lists and List Folders I've created plus I see the Zumo Internal Storage plus I see the Zumo User Data, i.e., the SD Card.

I drag and drop a route directly to the SD Card, I get a green bar showing progress and a little icon showing complete. Now this is where I don't understand what's happening: on my old nuvi that's where the file is- on the SD Card and no where else on the device. It's still in the original list folder on my computer, I just copied it to the SD Card. On the Zumo, the file goes to the Zumo Internal Storage in addition to the SD Card. Two places. So What I want to know:

A) is this normal? What's the point of an SD Card for memory storage if I'm just going to fill up the internal storage to capacity in short order?
2) how do I delete all these routes from internal storage? Delete button doesn't do it. Right click doesn't do it. "Send To" copies it, doesn't move it. Edit/Delete is greyed out, can't use that. Delete Route on the Zumo removes it from the active Trip/Imported Routes list but if I go to "Import Routes" again, there it is. I have 11 routes that I never transferred to my zumo waiting to be imported. How do I clean out this garbage from memory?
sussamb wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pmGiven that you say 'you've never put them there' what are they? Do they relate in any way to routes you've sent? Are you sure they are routes and not simply the track log that you're seeing?
They are are routes that I have created in Base Camp saved on my computer. They are clearly listed in List Folders. Some how they magically appeared in the internal storage of the Zumo. I didn't put them there, I haven't even looked at them in nearly 3 yrs. Yet there they are. So:

A) how did they get from my C:/BaseCamp to my Zumo internal Storage?
2) Is there something I can do to keep this from happening again?
C) See question above, how do I delete these extra non-being-used-ever crap from the Zumo Internal Storage?
sussamb wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pmSorry for all the questions but it's difficult to know what is happening from your post.
No Problem. Am I the only one this stoopit or unlucky with a Zumo? Typically in a group of 100 people I am the one that if something technogeeky can go wrong, it will with me. I had to turn off the power to my phone the other day b/c I couldn't find the END CALL red button. Really, I'm not kidding. I've had the phone for 3 yrs and can't figure out how to end a call....geez.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ok, now very clear what you're doing.

What you're seeing is normal. All Garmin devices on boot up look in both the GPX folder on the device and the one on the SD Card. Any new . gpx files that are found are merged with what's in the internal memory. This is why you're seeing them subsequently on both the card and the device.

There really is no need to send routes to the card as they take up very little space. The card is really for stuff that takes up lots of space, eg maps.
dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

Use File Manager to search both the Zumo and the SD card for *.gpx files. You can delete TEMP.gpx and CURRENT.gpx from the Zumo:gpx/ folder. other .gpx files would need to be looked at to determine what you've got there. Personally, I find this is where MapSource shines, as you can look at the gpx files without them being added to the massive BaseCamp database.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can do the same with BaseCamp. Files will only be added if you import them into BaseCamp ;)
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

dave726 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:10 am Use File Manager to search both the Zumo and the SD card for *.gpx files. You can delete TEMP.gpx and CURRENT.gpx from the Zumo:gpx/ folder. other .gpx files would need to be looked at to determine what you've got there. Personally, I find this is where MapSource shines, as you can look at the gpx files without them being added to the massive BaseCamp database.
Ok, I think I understand but not really. Please remember you're talking to a computer near-illiterate.

I established comms between computer and 595 device. I can't find anything TEMP.gpx. I found zumo/internal storage/garmin/gpx/current.gpx. I remove CURRENT.gpx from the zumo. I unplug the zumo from the computer, wait 10 mins whilst making coffee and then turn the zumo on. Old routes still there. I plug back into the computer and repeat the process. Lo and behold, I have another CURRENT.gpx folder. WTH? So I remove it. Another pops up. Repeat. And repeat again.

I guess the big problem for me in all of this is: if I create a Base Camp route and put it on my SD Card, in order to import it why am I required to scroll through 17 routes that I DID NOT transfer & haven't looked at in at least 3 yrs to try to find the one I just did transfer? It's like my zumo is reaching out and actively grabbing these routes without me doing anything.

I'm working really hard to like this new 595 but.....
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:03 pm Ok, now very clear what you're doing.

What you're seeing is normal. All Garmin devices on boot up look in both the GPX folder on the device and the one on the SD Card. Any new . gpx files that are found are merged with what's in the internal memory. This is why you're seeing them subsequently on both the card and the device.

There really is no need to send routes to the card as they take up very little space. The card is really for stuff that takes up lots of space, eg maps.
I thought it was the other way around but none the less: how do I permanently delete unused and unwanted routes from internal storage? I shouldn't have to continuously scroll through 17 unused routes that I DID NOT put there to try to find the one I did so I can import it. How can the non-management of memory be considered "normal"? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well I'm afraid for this you have to step back in history, when Garmin starting with GPS for vehicles they created an architecture that really doesn't suit those who want to use programs like Mapsource and it's successor BaseCamp to send data to them, those programs were originally aimed at backpackers etc and handheld devices.

You can't actually access the data on your device except through the menus on it. The problem comes when you use MapSource, BaseCamp or third party programs to send data to your device. You will see in the GPX folder a file named current.gpx, and you might think that's' the data your device uses but it's not, that is simply a one way copy of data held in inaccessible internal memory. When your device is switched on it looks for any other .gpx files in the GPX folder, merges them with the data it already holds and writes a new current.gpx

Should you have any other .gpx files in the GPX folder containing data, sent there by BaseCamp or any other way, then deleting the data on your device via its menus will have no effect, as they will simply be re-merged next time you switch your device on. To delete your unwanted data you need to delete the files in the GPX folder, both on the device and on the card. Then use the menus on your device to delete anything you don't want then all will be good. In future if you send data to your device/card just send it to the device, but always go back in afterwards and delete the original file containing that data, normally called temp.gpx

Of course if you have data that you always want on your device, even if you accidentally delete it, then send it to your device and leave the .gpx file associated with that data in the GPX folder. You should rename it though to something more unique so it cannot accidentally be overwritten.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:44 pm Well I'm afraid for this you have to step back in history, when Garmin starting with GPS for vehicles they created an architecture that really doesn't suit those who want to use programs like Mapsource and it's successor BaseCamp to send data to them, those programs were originally aimed at backpackers etc and handheld devices.

You can't actually access the data on your device except through the menus on it. The problem comes when you use MapSource, BaseCamp or third party programs to send data to your device. You will see in the GPX folder a file named current.gpx, and you might think that's' the data your device uses but it's not, that is simply a one way copy of data held in inaccessible internal memory. When your device is switched on it looks for any other .gpx files in the GPX folder, merges them with the data it already holds and writes a new current.gpx

Should you have any other .gpx files in the GPX folder containing data, sent there by BaseCamp or any other way, then deleting the data on your device via its menus will have no effect, as they will simply be re-merged next time you switch your device on. To delete your unwanted data you need to delete the files in the GPX folder, both on the device and on the card. Then use the menus on your device to delete anything you don't want then all will be good. In future if you send data to your device/card just send it to the device, but always go back in afterwards and delete the original file containing that data, normally called temp.gpx

Of course if you have data that you always want on your device, even if you accidentally delete it, then send it to your device and leave the .gpx file associated with that data in the GPX folder. You should rename it though to something more unique so it cannot accidentally be overwritten.
Clear as mud......
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT