WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Exurban
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Post by Exurban »

As the electrical contacts slide over each other, they scrape the grease off at the point of contact, so no harm. The connection is encapsulated by the grease providing protection from the elements. However, spring loaded pins (“pogo pins”) are designed for contacts to slide over them. The way the Zumo contacts the mount at an angle there isn’t even that much sliding going on.

Given some of the pics of failures and that not everyone has had an issue, I think there was a lapse of assembly QC by the manufacturer of the cable, Garmin and/or the manufacturer of the pins.
mastercore
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 5 times
Australia

Post by mastercore »

You may be right about lapsed QC, but my feeling is that it is an acute failure that can afflict any unit.
I feel all of us are one silly swipe with a jacket, or clumps push on the rubber cover away from a broken pin.

If yours are still OK, then you a careful or lucky or both.
Exurban
United States of America

Post by Exurban »

Not to defend Garmin because I know they are quite capable of screwing things up. But, I disagree simply because there is no magic to this component. The basic design has been used by Garmin and many other manufacturers for decades to electrically connect things. No wheel had to be reinvented to make these. There are several companies that make the pins themselves and I doubt they somehow figured out a way to send all their rejects to Garmin.

After I first heard of this issue I went out to my bike and checked mine. Centered, secure, not damaged, I poked and pushed the pins to try to induce failure. Nothing. If I can do that, I don’t think a swipe of a jacket or pushing on the rubber boot is going to do it. It’s not a matter of being extra careful or lucky. While it’s unfortunate that some are experiencing issues, I don’t think it’s as pervasive as the internet would lead one to believe.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

And of course you tend to get folks reporting issues, you don't see all those who have no issues, as rarely those post that fact :D
mastercore
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 5 times
Australia

Post by mastercore »

Hi [mention]Exurban[/mention] Thanks for underlining this. It has given me some hope that the first cable that died pretty fast is an exception. Maybe my paranoid reaction is unjustified.
Its always good to hear the other side so you can find the middle better
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Post by Hati »

mastercore wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:20 pmMaybe my paranoid reaction is unjustified.
Kid me not... I did the same checks with my pins without any issues.
larsras
Denmark

Post by larsras »

Is this only occurring when you can see visible damage on those pins?

I actually have intermittent power loss on the external supply when i'm driving. I can't provoke it on stand, and can't see any damage to the pins (did a macro photo with my camera).
Pretty sure my power installation is working, but can't check it right away as it is all burried behind all the K1300GT plastic :-(

br Lars
Exurban
United States of America

Post by Exurban »

From what I’ve read here and elsewhere, it doesn’t have to be visible damage. It could be the pins are set too deep to make good contact or the connection between the pin and cable in the molded plug is bad. If I press on the pin, it has good spring action. A bad one might feel loose or the pin could hang up and not fully return.

I’m no expert about this, just uncharacteristically half glass full about it. And that’s because this isn’t a new kind of connector and there’s nothing innovative about it. A lapse in production and QC on some of them. Some folks had issues with loose mounts and Garmin acknowledged it and fixed the production issue. I think and hope this is similar.
larsras
Denmark

Post by larsras »

Yes, i have already got my mount replaced.
Will call support on monday regarding the connector.
connal
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by connal »

One of my pins simply fell out on what was only the Zumo second outing. The pin arrangement looked flimsy to me from the start so I had taken the utmost care of it but it fell out anyway. Amazon replaced it without question but I wonder how many more time I am going to have to order, and fit, a replacement on this sub-standard part.