Off-Route Calculation question

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Rip
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Off-Route Calculation question

Post by Rip »

I've just got rid of my TomTom Rider 400 because it gave me all sorts of problems so I've replaced it with a Garmin Zumo 595. If I imported a track to my old TomTom and strayed off of it at all for any reason such as a wrong turn or impromptu stop somewhere it would just absolutely freak out and try to send me all over the place and sometimes even try to send me back home instead of continuing on the track.

I don't want that same particular problem with the Garmin so I need to make sure I'm using it correctly, what I've done is create a track using MyRoute-App (Free browser based version) which has just 12 waypoints and exported it directly to my Garmin as a GPX 1.0 file (for some reason when I try GPX 1.1 the Garmin must recalculate my track as it changes the track a lot when imported?!). The track then shows up in my Garmin under Apps/Tracks as expected.

So if I set off on this track with Off-Route Calculation set to AUTO and happen to stray off of it for some reason what will happen:

Will the Garmin try to get me back on the closest part of the track and then continue the exact track?

Make me go back to the previous missed waypoint?

Try to get me to the next waypoint?

None of the above?

I read somewhere on here that someone said that they usually have Off-Route Calculation set to Prompted so they would be alerted via a pop-up that they'd strayed off of their track then they just hit Ignore and kind of manually navigated back to the track by looking at the screen, this could work for me as a last resort. It would be nice if in the event I stray off of my track that the Garmin would simply get me back on the nearest point of the track automatically without making me do u-turns or have me go back to a waypoint I missed by accident, is this possible?

Just to add I also have Tyre installed as I find that nicer to create routes on so sometimes I save the GPX file from Tyre and then Import it into MRO in order to send it to my device. (Tyre wont recognize my Garmin for some reason). The version of Tyre i have is v7.0 because it does not require you to set up an Google API.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: Off-Route Calculation question

Post by rbentnail »

The 595 will try to take you to the next VIA or SHAPING point in your created ROUTE regardless if you are on the route or off of it. Depending on the type of point used, leaving a route and rejoining it may move on to the next point or it may attempt to route you back to the next point in your LIST. It is all dependent on what type of points you use to create the route and even then it sometimes seems arbitrary. But it's not.

I capitalize these terms because they are very specific. I know it doesn't make sense now, but following a TRACK is different than following a ROUTE, ROUTES don't use WAY points, etc. They terms you use can greatly alter the answers you get and for the most part cause much confusion. Garmin is very VERY particular about this.

I recommend you start with this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=800. There are many questions and detailed answers with detailed explanations. I've posted there some of my observations, problems and solutions.

A fine tutorial for routing is here -> https://www.newenglandriders.org/category/gps/
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Rip
Great Britain

Post by Rip »

Thanks, so what would be the best method of creating a journey where I want to ride specific roads without being recalculated off of them and what settings should be used in the device to ensure I get back on my desired roads without too much trouble should I start off of them for some reason.
Rip
Great Britain

Post by Rip »

Also when using MyRouteApp there is only one type of waypoint isn't there? I'm using the free web version.
Rip
Great Britain

Post by Rip »

Trying to get a workflow as such dialed in here so this is what I've done for a quick test today:

Create a Route in MyRoute-App using way-points (I only see one type of way-point in MRA so that's what I used)

Then within MRA I went to Export/Open Route/Garmin GPX 1.1 and exported to my Zumo 595

The Route then showed up in my Zumo 595 in Apps/Tracks

From Apps/Tracks I opened the Route and selected 'Convert To Trip' so it shows up in my Trip Planner

Then from the main menu I went to Where To/Trip Planner and selected my Route and hit 'Go'

So, any idea how this will behave if I stray off of my route by accident for any reason? Bearing in mind that under Settings/Navigation/Off-road Recalculation I have it set to 'Prompted'

I read somewhere that a good way of fixing a situation where you go off route by accident is to have Trip Data displayed on the r/h side of the map screen and have 'distance to via' displayed so you can see if you are heading away from a way-point or towards it so if you are heading away from it you can skip it to get the device to start navigating to the next point, BUT my Zumo 595 does not have 'distance to via' available in that display or seem to have any 'skip' function. The things available for display in 'Trip Data' are:

Temperature
Safety Camera Scouts
Trip A
Trip B
Direction
Heading
Speed
Max Speed
Moving Average
Overall Average
Stopped Time
Moving Time
Total Time
Sunrise/Sunset Time
Time Of Day
Elevation
Fuel Range

So if I find myself being navigated backwards to an accidentally missed way-point, what can I do to skip it and start navigating to the next point in the route?
Rip
Great Britain

Post by Rip »

If it helps I can also use Kurviger.de to plan a route as that allows the use of way-points and shaping points for free. I was recently laid off from work so I'm currently unable to pony up for MRA Gold but i have no problem doing so when I get another job if that is what could be causing some of my issues.
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

Rip wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:03 am If it helps I can also use Kurviger.de to plan a route as that allows the use of way-points and shaping points for free. I was recently laid off from work so I'm currently unable to pony up for MRA Gold but i have no problem doing so when I get another job if that is what could be causing some of my issues.
Rip, why don't you use Garmin Basecamp ??
Rip
Great Britain

Post by Rip »

Because Garmin is currently offline so I can't download it!
Rip
Great Britain

Post by Rip »

And even if I could I can't actually connect my Garmin to Basecamp via Garmin Express because it won't let me as their servers are down. It's my understanding that you can only view maps in decent resolution in Basecamp when you have the Garmin connected to it as it takes the maps from the device. I basically bought a Garmin just as they are having a prolonged worldwide outage.
Rip
Great Britain

Post by Rip »

I did download Basecamp 4.7.2 from an external source but as you can see without the device connected I am missing a lot of roads and lots of detail:

Google on the right, Basecamp on the left:

And I can't connect my device because this happens when I try to add device to my PC via Garmin Express,
see their servers are down:

Luckily MyRoute-App does not require any Garmin server services in order to view all roads and export a GPX file to my device. Once Garmin have fixed (paid the ransom for) their services then I'll happily use Basecamp as long as it actually shows all the roads like it should.