Zumo XT changes from Landscape to Portrait on its own.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
groundhog719
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Zumo XT changes from Landscape to Portrait on its own.

Post by groundhog719 »

My Zumo XT just started this today;

It is mounted in the horizontal position on my motorcycle and seems to work fine (proper orientation) around town. However, when I get on the highway it rotates to the "landscape position". All the words are sideways, map, compass, etc. are all rotated clockwise 90 degrees. (It is not the North Up option).

I've previously used it on several trips and several hundred miles and it was just fine.

The "Orientation" was set to "Auto". I've now set it to "Landscape" (which was Garmin support's recommendation) but haven't tried it. However, it should work in auto and has worked in auto??

I'm thinking that one of the gyros has gone haywire and wold like it fixed if so. Could a bad gyro affect tracks or other functions besides the orientation?

Anyone else experienced this?
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT changes from Landscape to Portrait on its own.

Post by simoncrewe »

groundhog719 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:12 am My Zumo XT just started this today;

It is mounted in the horizontal position on my motorcycle and seems to work fine (proper orientation) around town. However, when I get on the highway it rotates to the "landscape position". All the words are sideways, map, compass, etc. are all rotated clockwise 90 degrees. (It is not the North Up option).

I've previously used it on several trips and several hundred miles and it was just fine.

The "Orientation" was set to "Auto". I've now set it to "Landscape" (which was Garmin support's recommendation) but haven't tried it. However, it should work in auto and has worked in auto??

I'm thinking that one of the gyros has gone haywire and wold like it fixed if so. Could a bad gyro affect tracks or other functions besides the orientation?

Anyone else experienced this?
I have not experienced this, & as you point out there may be a problem with the unit. However, in the settings menu if you lock it in either of the modes, rather than leave it on auto, the screen is normally stable.
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

how flat do you have the gps mounted ?? or is it more vertical up and down ??
my other gps could do that if it was more flat....
groundhog719
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

JS_racer wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 am how flat do you have the gps mounted ?? or is it more vertical up and down ??
my other gps could do that if it was more flat....
It is about 30 degrees off of vertical. However, mounting position might have something to do with it - I changed mounts just before that ride and it is likely not in the same attitude (but it is close!).
overlookh

Post by overlookh »

Mee too, just once.

Mah!
motocheck
Has liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by motocheck »

Mine does that too. I figured it depends on mounting position as well as how you ride in corners. Mine does it when I ride hard on curvy roads. :idea:
groundhog719
United States of America

Post by groundhog719 »

UPDATE - More related problems...

Yesterday the Zumo started giving me "Incident Detection" alerts about every 3rd time I left a stop light/sign. Luckily I didn't have the call a contact option set or it may have caused a bunch of false alerts there too.

I called Garmin this morning. He said the unit needed replacing. He also said it would take 2 to 3 weeks to evaluate the unit before they would ship a replacement. They want everything back which means I need to remove plastic, tank, etc. to get the power cord off the bike (and put it together again so I can ride, then reverse the operation in 3 weeks to install the new unit).

This is on top of the 3 weeks they forgot to notify me that the original unit was on back-order and the 10 days (for 2 day delivery) to delivery it. So, I'll be without a unit for at least 3 of the 4 months I have owned it. And that is assuming they have it in stock and can deliver it in a reasonable amount of time!

I did finally agree to paying a $260 deposit and they would ship a new one (refurbished??) before they receive the one I have now. He didn't tell me if one was in stock.