Editing GPX files in basecamp - adding shaping points

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Editing GPX files in basecamp - adding shaping points

Post by sussamb »

Sleurth wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:40 pm I've clicked everything but there's no options to bring up properties. I can open the route and various boxes, but nowhere can I find something saying about 'alert on arrival.'
What I can do is delete all the waypoints on the route, and the highlighted route is still showing on the map. Will that work, will the satnav still guide me around the route?
Double click the route in the lower left hand pane or right click it and select Open
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Sleurth wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:03 pm I looked back at the route I did at the weekend, where I missed a turn and had the routing issue - and it has no waypoints! When I open it up, it shows beginning and end, just 2 viapoints. So how did it happen?

I appreciate it may be me doing something wrong, but even so, this system isn't very intuitive. For £400, I expect better.
Bingo! You hit my nail squarely on the head! I "upgraded" from a Garmin nuvi and have been extremely frustrated at the lack of intuitiveness of the 595. My nuvi was significantly better at anticipation but then again, it was a much less complicated unit. The thread I linked earlier is much of what I've had to learn & in some cases re-learn. And mostly I had to convince myself that this is just how it is.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Sleurth
Great Britain

Post by Sleurth »

sussamb wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:05 pm
Sleurth wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:40 pm I've clicked everything but there's no options to bring up properties. I can open the route and various boxes, but nowhere can I find something saying about 'alert on arrival.'
What I can do is delete all the waypoints on the route, and the highlighted route is still showing on the map. Will that work, will the satnav still guide me around the route?
Double click the route in the lower left hand pane or right click it and select Open
The problem was that the gpx had no waypoints (via points/shaping points) so the option didn't come up. So I don't know how I can correct the routing issue when there are no waypoints.

I've tried creating my own route in basecamp and now can see what you mean about them