Editing GPX files in basecamp - adding shaping points

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Sleurth
Great Britain

Editing GPX files in basecamp - adding shaping points

Post by Sleurth »

Afternoon all
I've tried searching but can't find an answer, although I can't be the first to struggle with this surely!

I've been downloading gpx files for motorcycle routes and importing them via basecamp. That's all fine. When I go onto my Garmin, they are there as tracks...which is inconvenient but I just convert them to a trip. The problem I've had is that if I miss a point on the route, it keeps wanting to re-route me back to it, rather than re-routing me to the next point. When I've searched the web regarding this, people are saying use shaping points.... but I can't find any way to edit imported gpx files and add shaping points.

Any ideas please?
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Editing GPX files in basecamp - adding shaping points

Post by sussamb »

I'm not sure as I never do it that way. What I would do is convert the track to a route in BaseCamp rather than on the device. However I wouldn't use the BaseCamp routine to do that. I'd place a point at the start and end of the track then let BC calculate the route. I'd then modify that route as necessary, using viapoints or shaping points as required, so that it now matches the track and then send that route to my device.
Sleurth
Great Britain

Post by Sleurth »

I've worked out how to create a route within BC, and then add waypoints to make the route I want, but I can't see anything about shaping points, or any alternative to waypoints. So I'll have the same problem that it tries to take me back to a waypoint I've missed.

Is there no way around this? If I miss a turn, I want it to re-route me to the next waypoint, not try and turn me around to the missed one. It might not always be possible, but for example, I had a route set with home as a start point, but I actually knew the first part of the route, so I went a different way...and joined the route later on. I repeatedly had the Garmin telling me to do a U-turn and try and get me back to the waypoint I missed even though I was on the route at a further point!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you have skipped a viapoint your device will nag you until you tell it to skip that point. Bear in mind viapoints should be used for points you want to visit, so it could be a cafe, petrol station etc. You'd be a bit miffed if somehow you passed it and your device simply then ignored the fact you'd missed it.

To set viapoints to shaping points and vice versa in BaseCamp open the route properties and right click on the point, it will either be set to Do not alert on arrival, so a shaping point, or Alert on arrival, a via point, change it as required.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I think I understand what you are asking as I am learning new stuff too -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=800

To convert VIA points in a route (look like WAY points but are not) double click the route name. A box opens. Right click a VIA point. You have the option of DO NOT ALERT. If you click that it is now a SHAPING point. If you click it again it is now a VIA point.

As far as bypassing or skipping a point and being sent back:

If it is a VIA point you must pass over that point or manually skip it. That's the way it works. If its a shaping point, you may have to manually skip it if you do not have enough shaping points. If you do, it may skip it by itself. By far the mistake I made is not enough shaping points. In the thread linked above I describe what someone asked me, "if you remove any one point from your route, will the route change?" If the answer is yes then you don't have enough shaping points.

I highly recommend scour the thread I linked above. No need to reinvent the wheel. My discoveries are based on the same questions you are asking now. I can't help with the track vs. route problem. I do not in any way use tracks.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Sleurth
Great Britain

Post by Sleurth »

I've never seen the skip button on the satnav. Will have to stop and look next time.

I've clicked everything but there's no options to bring up properties. I can open the route and various boxes, but nowhere can I find something saying about 'alert on arrival.'
What I can do is delete all the waypoints on the route, and the highlighted route is still showing on the map. Will that work, will the satnav still guide me around the route?
Sleurth
Great Britain

Post by Sleurth »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:39 pm I think I understand what you are asking as I am learning new stuff too -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=800

To convert VIA points in a route (look like WAY points but are not) double click the route name. A box opens. Right click a VIA point. You have the option of DO NOT ALERT. If you click that it is now a SHAPING point. If you click it again it is now a VIA point.

As far as bypassing or skipping a point and being sent back:

If it is a VIA point you must pass over that point or manually skip it. That's the way it works. If its a shaping point, you may have to manually skip it if you do not have enough shaping points. If you do, it may skip it by itself. By far the mistake I made is not enough shaping points. In the thread linked above I describe what someone asked me, "if you remove any one point from your route, will the route change?" If the answer is yes then you don't have enough shaping points.

I highly recommend scour the thread I linked above. No need to reinvent the wheel. My discoveries are based on the same questions you are asking now. I can't help with the track vs. route problem. I do not in any way use tracks.
Thanks, I'll have a good look through that thread.

I've got a route highlighted and it has blue flags all over it, which I assume are waypoints. When I double click, it brings up a box where I can change the symbol, but no option to change alert.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

One other thing immensely helpful- once you have your route created and you've double clicked the route name to see/change the shaping & via points, click the ROUTE OPTIONS tab and tick the CUSTOMIZE ROUTE OPTIONS box.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Sleurth
Great Britain

Post by Sleurth »

I looked back at the route I did at the weekend, where I missed a turn and had the routing issue - and it has no waypoints! When I open it up, it shows beginning and end, just 2 viapoints. So how did it happen?

I appreciate it may be me doing something wrong, but even so, this system isn't very intuitive. For £400, I expect better.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Depends how you created the route. Note that a route with a start point and an end point will have route points placed automatically in the route that you won't see, these are points that are used by your device to navigate the route.

You need to remember some folks just use their Zumo without going anywhere near BaseCamp. This may help you learn BaseCamp, it's relatively easy once you've got the hang of it

https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/