Zumo XT - A Revelation!

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
neilb
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Zumo XT - A Revelation!

Post by neilb »

It was delivered earlier today and I’ve spent a few hours getting to know it and I am feeling that it is light-years ahead of the 660 and 595 that I’ve used for years. Have Garmin at last come up with a device that, without actually road testing it, I am at a loss to pick holes in.

So, straight out of the box, I switch it on and am immediately dazzled by the brightness of the screen, which I have to turn down. Finger to the settings icon, to the display options and I’m totally impressed by the smooth feel and responsiveness of the screen. Running my finger over the 595 screen is like the difference between chalk and cheese. I’ve been out in the garden in bright sun and the XT screen is clear and bright whereas the 595 is its usual invisible self.

All connections to the android phone and Scala G9 headset were made without any hassle and I also installed Garmin Drive to the phone. The wireless connection was there as soon as I entered the network password. The XT prompted me to do a map and software update, giving me the usual two hours or more waiting time. Made a cuppa, bimbled around and it finished in about 30 minutes. All without any connection to the computer.

Now, would the wireless allow me to transfer routes/tracks to the XT. So, into MyRoute App on the phone, pick a route and save it to the phone. Phone gives me the option to open it in Garmin Drive which then asks me if I want to send it to the XT. And there it is as a track on the device. So easy, with just a few clicks. This, to me, is what I’ve been wanting from Garmin for years...I’m over the moon!

Now, all that remains is to change the mount on the bike....a little moan to Garmin “why keep changing the mounts?” and get out and use it. All looking rosy at the moment....hope it stays that way.
lehug
Been liked: 3 times
France

Re: Zumo XT - A Revelation!

Post by lehug »

I do agree that it's a lot better than previous GPS.

But still, we stay far from smartphone quality experience when in comes to :
- Maps quality : Waze is better , my xt just sent me through a road that has been closed and made pedestrian 3 years ago.
- Speed limit info : Waze is better, several time the XT was wrong on the speed limitation
- Report troubles on maps/accident/speedcam : waze much better
- Searching for an address : Waze is better, faster and some places that the XT couldn't find (once not referenced, once because of minor typo from me that waze did understand)
- General smoothness : Any smartphone is years ahead
- Settings and small tweaks : XT could be more userfriendly

True, it's a lot better to have a dedicated GPS on the bike, the XT is my best experience so far, but still far from perfect. :roll:
mastercore
Has liked: 18 times
Australia

Post by mastercore »

I agree that smart phones do navigation way better in general than dedicated GPS devices like the Garmin zumo XT.
I just got one myself. First Garmin ever. And I was quite disappointed at its lack of search capabilities when I wanted to navigate somewhere.
Addresses were not always understood, and often searches came up with no results.
I guess we have been spoilt by Google in this regard, but then again they have milked us for billions with our private data in return.

All we would need is a ruggedised water resistant smartphone with a nice hotshoe connector and mount and very bright larger screen.
After all the phone function of the average smart phone is but a fraction of its capabilities.

I have toyed with the idea of taking an older android phone I got that has a pretty good display and hot wiring it to be powered directly from my motorcycle instead of only charging a dying battery pack trapped inside.
Then rooting it and installing a non google version of android and setting it up to only run a dedicated navi app like waze or OsmAnd.
Giving it wifi should be enough to keep it up to date with map info.

Download your music and play it direcly from your device to your bluetooth headset if you like

Just my 2 cents worth guys.
lehug
Been liked: 3 times
France

Post by lehug »

mastercore wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:19 pm I agree that smart phones do navigation way better in general than dedicated GPS devices like the Garmin zumo XT.
I just got one myself. First Garmin ever. And I was quite disappointed at its lack of search capabilities when I wanted to navigate somewhere.
Addresses were not always understood, and often searches came up with no results.
I guess we have been spoilt by Google in this regard, but then again they have milked us for billions with our private data in return.

All we would need is a ruggedised water resistant smartphone with a nice hotshoe connector and mount and very bright larger screen.
After all the phone function of the average smart phone is but a fraction of its capabilities.

I have toyed with the idea of taking an older android phone I got that has a pretty good display and hot wiring it to be powered directly from my motorcycle instead of only charging a dying battery pack trapped inside.
Then rooting it and installing a non google version of android and setting it up to only run a dedicated navi app like waze or OsmAnd.
Giving it wifi should be enough to keep it up to date with map info.

Download your music and play it direcly from your device to your bluetooth headset if you like

Just my 2 cents worth guys.
The phone solution is okay, but still not perfect :mrgreen:
phones are lacking :
- heat resistance (direct sun on a summer day, my phone is overheating , samsung s9plus)
- screen degradation ( at full brightness they tend to ''pixel burn")
- screen size smaller than GPS (actually, a small tablet might be the best)

Also, to get the best from Google and Garmin, what i am doing now :
> set the Bluetooth connexion phone/XT (first time setting then automatic)
>> look for the destination on my phone with Google maps
>>> click share
>>>> choose Garmin app
>>>>> TADAAAA destination sent to the device, just click "go"
mastercore
Has liked: 18 times
Australia

Post by mastercore »

And the Garmin spy hook is now well dug into your rump. You will not be able to go to a public toilet with Garmin, Google, and a menagerie of other anonymous companies keeping tabs on you.

I may be naive in my belief, but I will not let my android phone connect to the Garmin, just to keep the torrent of my personal data passing to their bottom lines to a minimum.
mrmagloo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by mrmagloo »

mastercore wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:09 pm And the Garmin spy hook is now well dug into your rump. You will not be able to go to a public toilet with Garmin, Google, and a menagerie of other anonymous companies keeping tabs on you.

I may be naive in my belief, but I will not let my android phone connect to the Garmin, just to keep the torrent of my personal data passing to their bottom lines to a minimum.
Being a new XT owner, I've been scouring the forum for little tid-bits to help with the learning curve moving from the 660 to the XT. To your point on naivety, its really surprising that you seem to think that Garmin is the root of all PI dissemination? I think I've ran into a couple of your posts mentioning this, specifically focusing on Garmin as particular threat, which is surprising.

You must know that Garmin adds virtually nothing to what Google, Apple, Facebook, Instagram, and the rest of the big data companies compile on their own. You do realize that none of these guys need Geotargeting data from Garmin, right? Your phone GPS is tracking your every step, and even if you turn it off, the providers track your connection 24/7 by tower, so that really doesn't help either.

Being in the data business, it amazes me every day how people will complain about protecting their PI, but then turn around and plaster their entire life story on Facebook. It's rather amusing actually. The fact is, it's almost impossible to avoid companies collecting data on you, unless you live under a rock. Even turning on your TV, or flipping on a switch on your house is allowing your providers to collect data regarding household consumption, your location, and interests. Every time you use a credit or debit card, pass a toll, make a call, walk down a street, send a text, drive pass a traffic cam, etc, you are tracked - every second of your life. There is no stopping this, and it's only going to get worse.

All I'm saying is, out of all of the big data compilation firms out there watching your every move, I can guaranty Garmin should be at the very bottom of your list of concerns by a very large margin. By disconnecting Garmin from your phone, its reducing virtually nothing the phone itself is already offering up, along with everything else tracking you. All you are doing is short changing the features and capabilities of the Zumo.

However, you do you. Protecting your PI is important stuff. I'm not here to change your mind but rather offer insights on how insignificant the Garmin threat really is, in comparison to everything else out there which is considerably worse.

Peace
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

mastercore wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:09 pm (...) I will not let my android phone connect to the Garmin, just to keep the torrent of my personal data passing to their bottom lines to a minimum.
To keep your private data private you should throw away your Android phone in a first place :D
Better listen what mrmagloo says, nowadays we are in a data driven world. It’s almost impossible to keep our “privacy” private. Maybe your neighbor doesn’t know everything about you. But your government? International corporations? Even your local internet provider probably knows about you more than you can imagine - I work in IT :)

For me Garmin Zumo XT is a great tool to make my trips more fun. Believe or not, this is my first motorcycle GPS unit after Garmin 60 :) You can imagine how I feel now. Like ‘90 cosmonaut put in a SpaceX Dragon capsule ;)