What is map "TopoActive PS Americas"

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
ronjes100
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

What is map "TopoActive PS Americas"

Post by ronjes100 »

My Zumo XT came with two installed maps.
One is called TopoActive PS Americas.
When I bring it up in Basecamp, all it shows is major roads and highways, nothing else.
I set detail to highest, nothing extra showed.
( I did re-install the map, that did nothing)
On the Garmin website they want $59 for this map and they state
"Includes routable streets and off-road trails; terrain contours; summits; national and local parks; coastlines, lakes and rivers; natural features and more Displays thousands of points of interest, , including geographic labels; shops; restaurants and bars; parking; schools and community features, and accommodations".

Well, none of that is in this map.
Anyone know why this map is pre-installed on my Zumo XT and what it is for?

In any case, I do alot of off road trail riding with my motorcycle and I am looking for a map that I can buy and add into basecamp to do routes and exploring with that is compatible with mt Zumo XT. There is so much info online it is overwhelming.

Thanks
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: What is map "TopoActive PS Americas"

Post by simoncrewe »

ronjes100 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:39 pm My Zumo XT came with two installed maps.
One is called TopoActive PS Americas.
When I bring it up in Basecamp, all it shows is major roads and highways, nothing else.
I set detail to highest, nothing extra showed.
( I did re-install the map, that did nothing)
On the Garmin website they want $59 for this map and they state
"Includes routable streets and off-road trails; terrain contours; summits; national and local parks; coastlines, lakes and rivers; natural features and more Displays thousands of points of interest, , including geographic labels; shops; restaurants and bars; parking; schools and community features, and accommodations".

Well, none of that is in this map.
Anyone know why this map is pre-installed on my Zumo XT and what it is for?

In any case, I do alot of off road trail riding with my motorcycle and I am looking for a map that I can buy and add into basecamp to do routes and exploring with that is compatible with mt Zumo XT. There is so much info online it is overwhelming.

Thanks
The 'topo active' map is supplied free of charge on all XT units. I gather it is designed to give some level of off road type coverage for the user. The data is supplied fro Open Steet Map. Here is the description from the Garmin website https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=I ... aIWuSuwCS8

I have noticed that you cannot copy the map on to your PC & use it directly in Basecamp, you need to have the XT plugged into the PC.
In terms of off road maps for the US, I believe that you can buy Garmin Topo maps or some US forestry maps, I would head over to the adv rider forum & ask the guys there what they recommend.
Before you spend any money on maps though, I would have a look at the maps available from Open Street Map to see if they suit the type of riding you are doing. They are free of charge & can be downloaded to Basecamp . Here is the link:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM ... th_America