Any idea why the XT supply shortage?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Toronto Paul
Has liked: 1 time
Canada

Any idea why the XT supply shortage?

Post by Toronto Paul »

I’m keen to upgrade to the XT but here in |+|Canada there is no available stock on these units. I’m sure COVID is playing a part but any idea what is behind the great Zumo XT drought of 2020?
1998 BMW R1200C - Zumo XT
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Re: Any idea why the XT supply shortage?

Post by Hati »

Just checked it for the oz shop. 6 to 8 weeks processing time. Looks like you are not alone in Canada with this.
Exurban
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Exurban »

Last week I tried to order one from the Garmin website. I figure they’d have the best supply. At the time it said 1-3 day shipping. Day three and no shipping confirmation, I look at the page again and now it says 3-5 weeks. I chat with customer service and although they apologized, it was the equivalent of a perfunctory shrug.

So I canceled the order and ordered from gpsstore.com who had it in stock and shipped the same day with free 2 day shipping. They even called and emailed to tell me the case I also ordered was backordered and wanted to know how I wanted it handled.

GPSCity and Crutchfield both say they have it in stock with same day shipping. I can’t fathom how Garmin doesn’t have them but other retailers do.
HarryBarry
Canada

Post by HarryBarry »

Gpscentral.ca has them on stock here in Canada. Just picked one up. Good luck.
adm

Post by adm »

I ordered mine on Sunday from Helmet City (UK) - and even got 20% off. Shipped Monday and was here yesterday.
Joby
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Joby »

Exurban wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:58 pm Last week I tried to order one from the Garmin website. I figure they’d have the best supply. At the time it said 1-3 day shipping. Day three and no shipping confirmation, I look at the page again and now it says 3-5 weeks. I chat with customer service and although they apologized, it was the equivalent of a perfunctory shrug.

So I canceled the order and ordered from gpsstore.com who had it in stock and shipped the same day with free 2 day shipping. They even called and emailed to tell me the case I also ordered was backordered and wanted to know how I wanted it handled.

GPSCity and Crutchfield both say they have it in stock with same day shipping. I can’t fathom how Garmin doesn’t have them but other retailers do.
Same story for me. I was checking the Garmin Website regularly and had registered for updates. I ordered mine as soon as I got the notification from Garmin on the 20th of May and it arrived a full week later on the 27th. I was anxious to get one a soon as possible for my YouTube channel. Meanwhile someone else in Guernsey received his weeks earlier because he ordered from www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk (where it's now on sale at 10% discount). I don't know why I bothered buying direct or assuming Garmin would have their own unit available first.
Bond007
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by Bond007 »

There is a shortage on the XT because they are so damned popular! Once you have one and use it, you’ll realize why!! I had the Zumo 595 before & it was a piece of rubbish compared to the XT . . .
Exurban
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Exurban »

Seems less a shortage than distribution and customer service issue. The manufacturer doesn’t have them to sell but other retailers do. Annoyingly, Garmin never informed me that instead of 1-3 days it became 3-5 weeks.

I’ve not had a chance to use mine yet, but fiddling with it, I’m impressed. I think they saw that phone apps were stealing market share and had to respond. The XT is a vast improvement over my ancient 660. Really, I can’t believe that thing is 12 years old.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Exurban wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm Seems less a shortage than distribution and customer service issue. The manufacturer doesn’t have them to sell but other retailers do. Annoyingly, Garmin never informed me that instead of 1-3 days it became 3-5 weeks.
Same in the UK, got the e-mail from Garmin saying it was available a week or two after I got it from a dealer :?