GE V7.0.0.0

rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

GE V7.0.0.0

Post by rbentnail »

Received notification of this update. I experienced no difficulties other than the speed of worm.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Re: GE V7.0.0.0

Post by Hati »

For the less fortunate sods, here is a solution.

Like clockwork, my GE install failed. Again. Tried the usual solution (uninstall C++ redistributable), but did not actually fix the problem for a change. Then I tried to uninstall GE old version. That also failed. Finally found a 5 year old support thread on the official Garmin forums. Can't link directly to the response (thread link: https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software ... tion-error ) but the essence is this:

- Download the Microsoft Fixit and run it.
- When prompted, select to Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended) and then select Uninstalling.
- Choose Garmin Express from the list of programs and click Next.
- Repeat this for the Elevated Installer, ANT Drivers Installer, and Garmin Tray if they are listed.

Link to Microsoft Installation Troubleshooter: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer ... soft-fixit

I ran the troubleshooter, followed the above instructions and then I could finally get GE to install without issues. I never in my decades long computing experience have I come across a piece of software that the developer just failed to fix time and time again...
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Never failed to install for me in years of using it, so I'm not sure there is anything to fix?
Hati
Australia

Post by Hati »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:31 pm Never failed to install for me in years of using it, so I'm not sure there is anything to fix?
What's your point? If you didn't see it, it doesn't exist?? Just search for "Garmin Express failed to install". See how many hits you get... :evil:
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You get a few but there are many 100s of thousands more who install it without a problem, where issues exist it's normally due to a problem with the end users computer. I've been using Garmin Express since it started and whenever users do have a problem with it ALL users get it, but I've never seen a situation where all users cannot install it. In your case the fact you had to use MS Fix It points to an issue at your end.
Hati
Australia

Post by Hati »

sussamb wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:56 am In your case the fact you had to use MS Fix It points to an issue at your end.
Even after a fresh install of Win 10 on my Surface Pro, the issue still existed with every update version going back at least 5 years. Fixit seem to suggest that the problem was with a corrupt uninstaller, so assuming the program uninstalls the older version before installing the new one, it would explain why it fails.

The issue is that I am not alone with this, far from it, but investigation, never mind remedy for the problem doesn't exist. It frustrates the crap out of me that such a large company cannot get its shit together with something simple like an updater. This, by the way, is the only program on my laptop that has problems. Dozens of others have no issues.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well there is something strange about some computers I agree. Trouble is as it works for the vast majority Garmin need feedback from folks like you. They are very prompt when there is an issue affecting all users, v7 was issued to correct a map downloading issues that all users were reporting, and done within a week.