Charging zumo 396

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
CRracer
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Charging zumo 396

Post by CRracer »

Is there an official procedure for charging this device?

If it's off, and a power source is connected, it comes on. Shows little charge icon. One tap of power button to put it in standby and screen goes dark, and it briefly says charging battery.

If instead of putting it in standby, but rather turning it off while still connected to power, does this also charge battery?

Reason I ask is I left it on the bike for about 36 hours, and had turned it off. It's connected directly to the battery while on bike, not through ignition circuit. After roughly 36 hours, I removed it from the cradle and it wouldn't power on. Ended up putting it on a charger, which also did not turn it on. Left it for about 30 minutes, then pressed to power button to turn on, and it did.

I've had it on a charger a couple of times long enough to where if I push button to put it in standby, it'll show charge complete in bright letters.

When this happens, I remove from charger and turn it on, doesn't take but a few minutes and it's already lost the first bar 9n the battery.

It's currently been plugged in, on standby, to my original Garmin zumo 550 wall wart, for over 24 hours. Everytime I bring it out of standby, and put it back in standby(cause that's the only way I know of to see if battery is fully charged), it's still showing charging battery.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Charging zumo 396

Post by sussamb »

It'll charge regardless of whether it's in standby or off. Sounds like the issue you had would have been resolved by holding the power button down until it turns on, this is sometimes needed.

The fact it doesn't seem to be holding a full charge though is worrying, possibly an indication that the battery is on its way out. If still under warranty I'd call Garmin
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

is the 396 a sealed unit or has it got a removable battery
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

Sealed, it's a brand-new unit.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I would give it a few good charges etc and if no different then return it as faulty
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

It finally showed charge complete using the old zumo 550 wall wart. Yeah, I figured I'd use as is and see how it goes. I very seldom use it out of cradle. I know the 396 does have but ~4 hour battery life as is, or that's how it's advertised.

It's working great with my packtalk bold, and moto g6. Also works my virb as it should, so it's functioning as I'd hoped.