Zumo XT screen protectors

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Northernlanes
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Zumo XT screen protectors

Post by Northernlanes »

is anyone using a screen protector on their Zumo XT? which brand are you using? link?
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT screen protectors

Post by yorky »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/protectionfilms24

I got mine from these, very fast delivery.

I bought the glass ones to start with but couldn't get it to adhere very well to the XT, could have been user error :?: .
I gave up on the glass one and bought the "film" type and that has adhered perfectly. You can't tell it is on and it has not affected the touch screen capabilities.
Northernlanes
Great Britain

Post by Northernlanes »

I've been looking at those but wasn't sure which one to buy, thought about a matt one, which is the exact one from their range that you bought?
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

The first one I used was for a SmartDrive 55, which covered the screen area. It worked OK in bright sun and the glass screen was protected from my wet, muddy, grit-encrusted index finger, but I thought it would be better to cover the entire front of the unit.

This is the SmartDrive protector in place.

Fetching up a laptop screen protector, I cut a full-size piece. It seems to work well and I wonder who will be the first to bring a proper anti-glare to market for the XT.

I would be interested in knowing exactly which one you are buying for the XT, as well as which glass one you tried. Anti-glare is important to me, perhaps more than it is to others.
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

These are the glass ones which I didn't have much success with,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Garmin-zu ... 2749.l2649

These are the film ones which I got to work perfectly,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Screen-Pr ... 2749.l2649

Delivered from Germany to the UK in 3 days on both occasions :)

Sorry Tom, I can't really comment on the anti-glare capabilities as due to lockdown I have not been able to test in a real world scenario.
Tom Schmitz
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

Thanks [mention]yorky[/mention] for those links. There's still nothing showing up on eBay here in the US.

I tried the Lexerd antiglare sheets for the DriveSmart. They worked well in the sun to control glare but were otherwise unremarkable. I bought COOSKIN generic laptop antiglare sheets and cut my own to fit. They work fine as well.

The glass version is of interest to me if it has anti-glare properties. I see it as a permanent fix. I had to replace the sheet screen protectors on my 660 twice a year as grit on my gloves would scratch them up quite badly.
Northernlanes
Great Britain

Post by Northernlanes »

yorky wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:53 am
These are the film ones which I got to work perfectly,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Screen-Pr ... 2749.l2649
I've just ordered a set of these, thought about getting the matte ones but I'm thinking the XT is so bright the matte one's may not be required
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Just purchased the Brotec Airglass screen protector from their ebay shop. Very flexible, hard to tell that it is glass. Cut exactly to size, including the little bevels on each corner. I peeled back about a third of the protective film and placed the exposed sticky side on the left hand edge, fitted into the bevels on each corner and gently laid the rest of it down as I peeled back the rest of the protective film from underneath it.

There were a few large bubbles (I was supposed to use a credit card covered with a soft cloth), but I forgot to get that ready. But the credit card and handkerchief just wiped them all to the side as easy as anything. No bubbles, not even at the edges. Impossible to tell that there is a protector on it.

Sensitivity - well it used to respond before my finger touched the screen - when it was hovering 2-3mm above, which was a pain. Now it still does that, but it takes about a second to realise that my finger is there. That is much better. I bought 3 protectors in one packet - expecting to make a mess of one of them. Still got two left. We shall see how long it lasts.

Arrived very quickly in the UK from Germany.

Very pleased with that.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Tom Schmitz
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

In the US we have nothing and the Brotec folk in Germany do not ship to the US. If you want some screen protection here it's going to be roll yer own for a while.
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

I have a plastic screen protector on my XT. Unfortunately I ordered it in Matt finish so when the sun is on the screen it looks like it's covered in dust.

I got the plastic as the company in Germany (protectionfilms24) that makes the glass ones wasn't shipping to Canada. I noticed today they are so have ordered a set.

I'm sure it will take a while before they arrive.

..Tom