Zumo 396 Impressions

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Gomer
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Zumo 396 Impressions

Post by Gomer »

I first posted in "Zumo 396 Bluetooth Earbud Alternatives" but since have had a chance to use my Zumo 396 with the FIIO BTR3 bluetooth adapter with Skull Candy earbuds and a Galaxy S9 with Smartphone Link on a trip.

I always left my 396 on when stopped for gas or lunch and everything stayed connected unless I took my phone out of range. It would not reconnect and gave me no indication other than no traffic updates and media alerts. Just had to cycle power on the Zumo and everything reconnected. I had to go to connections to see it was not connected.

I am getting the first bit of navigation messages cut off (in 1/4 mile turn right) the in is not clear. I see someone else posted this a while back but is this the nature of the beast?

I found out why I was getting static when playing MP3s. My micro SD card was not locked down (I didn't know I had to slide the metal holder to lock it in).

My MP3s are way to load and when adjusted down I can't hear traffic. I read about how to fix this in another post, thank you.

The FIIO BTR3 solved my bluetooth to earbuds requirements, (although a 3.5 mm jack on the Zumo 396 would sure make it simpler) the buttons are a little small but it worked flawlessly the whole time.

Compared to the Zumo 550 it replaced:
I really liked the little compass pointer on the right telling where north was.
The "turn right at the light" was nice.
Speed limit change alerts were good.
The constant "recalculating" (in a pissed off voice) was nice not to have any more.
The lane assist on the right half of the screen while exiting the expressway was a welcome addition too.
It seemed to pick up the route change from what it originally calculated to what I wanted to take way better.
Over all i was quite pleased with the functionality and thought it was a good upgrade.

Gomer
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 396 Impressions

Post by tojjer »

I have the 346 and have to, on the whole I'm happy with it. It's the only Garmin I've ever had so can't compare to any others.
The first part of the instruction being cut off seems to be a common theme. Once I'd sorted out how best to get a route to do what I want it to do, not what it thinks I should do, it works a lot better.
When they first came out, they used to say incident detected everytime you went over a bump in the road, but that is now able to be turned off.

Not bad units at all really. IMHO though, if they could make the Basecamp software as easy to use as MyRouteApp is, it would be a much better product
package.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you're struggling with BaseCamp this tutorial may help http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm
CRracer
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

Glad to hear it appears you like the jump from the 550 to the 396. Had my 550 since 2006, still going, have had zero issues with it, but just ordered a 396, should be here early next week.
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

Didn't even Dawn on me until today when I happen to play my Zumo 550 audio over my Scala rider Q2 pro....

Is the Bluetooth connection of the 396 stereo?
titter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by titter »

CRracer wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:05 pm Glad to hear it appears you like the jump from the 550 to the 396. Had my 550 since 2006, still going, have had zero issues with it, but just ordered a 396, should be here early next week.
I've come from a 550 to a 396. The main reason being that 550 didn't work with basecamp. Really like the 396, its much easier to put on and take off the bike and seems to faithfully follow routes i've made using BC. I think you'll be happy with it
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

I'm sure I will be if it arrives 😁

Was scheduled for yesterday delivery, but today it just says check back soon. I noticed it hasn't been scanned since UPS picked it up on the 23rd.
Gomer
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by Gomer »

Yes the Bluetooth is in stereo, the only complaint is it seems to have a slight delay when it gives directions, the first part is cut off. Not terrible so you can't understand just a little bit annoying. The first half of the "T" in "turn right" is cut off.
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

My 396 showed up today. Didn't get much time with 8t, it's currently updating the map.

I'd setup WiFi on it to do the download as there was 9 updates totals. I'd left updating and when I returned it said it had an issue or error, don't recall which. Wanted me to reboot. I did and saw it had updated 8 items, just leaving the new map update to install.

I left it again this time using GE to install map to device and computer. We'll see if that worked in the morning.

I did like how the screen responds to my touch. My 550 doesn't respond well to skin touch, but does to a stylus of fingernail.
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

I gotta see if there's a way to turn off email notifications. Text is fine, but I get tooany emails.

I do like how easy it is to clear the notification off the screen with gloves while riding!

Never had a visibility issue out riding on this sunshiny day.