GPX Files to XT?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
paulbusdriver
Has liked: 1 time

GPX Files to XT?

Post by paulbusdriver »

Hi all

The advertising stuff for the XT says :

"Easily send GPX files from your phone to your zūmo XT, or share GPX files with fellow riders by using the Garmin Drive™ app.

Does anyone know how to send a gpX file from an iPhone straight to your XT as this described on Garmin website advertising the Zumo XT .Would be useful with my-route app etc. I can't work out if its possible to do, but the advertising stuff says you can.

Thanks in advance.
Paul W
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: GPX Files to XT?

Post by yorky »

I THINK Garmin Explore comes into the equation somewhere but don't know the details
paulbusdriver

Post by paulbusdriver »

Yes it does but although the explore app says the xt is compatible when I try to sync it with explore it says it can’t sync unsupported devices!!! In this case my XT ...🙈 I guess I will have to contact garmin support .
paulbusdriver

Post by paulbusdriver »

So, having played around with the device I can export a gpx route going in under settings of the XT then select share route, then share using garmin drive .....you can then send one of your routes already on your xt to your iPhone garmin drive app. From here you can share it on your iPhone and it allows me to send the imported box file to , in my case as an example to my scenic app, or just e mail the whole gpx file to a friend. It worked great. WHY OH WHY CANT THIS BE REVERSIBLE? Clearly I am missing something , or not. Would be great to be able to use the my route app(eg) on my iPhone , which is still smoother than the xt, then just import it via garmin drive. Namely reversing the previously described share method. Hopefully this will be rectified in the updates .
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Post by Hati »

OK, you guys got me thinking and I found a way to send directly to the XT.

I use an iPhone 11 with an XT of course and Myroute app. Garmin Drive is running on the phone. Turn on the XT and let it connect to the phone (and the "Drive" app).

Start Myroute app, create or load your track. From the page menu where the track displays, select "save as" and pick your choice of format. I used the top version, gpx 1.1 with POI, route and track info included. I assume the other versions work the same as this, the steps are the same. Once you select the format, a "share with" list pops up, scrolling the apps will have the Garmin Drive app come into view. Select that and the app (Garmin Drive) will pop up confirming that it received the gpx file and that it can send it on to my Garmin device, that being the XT. Tapping "Send" will begin the transfer. Once transfer is completed, the XT will acknowledge the new track and asks if you want to convert it into a trip.

So there, transfer is possible, although a bit complicated.

I would guess other apps producing gpx files on the phone would work too as long as the Drive app is running to receive them and the XT connected to the phone to pass the file onto.
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

Paderu
Belgium

Post by Paderu »

My Garmin Drive app crashes as soon as I try to transfer a gpx file to my XT...
And when I try to upload the gpx into explore it refuses to import, no reason why given..
ib12
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

Hati wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:24 pm OK, you guys got me thinking and I found a way to send directly to the XT.

I use an iPhone 11 with an XT of course and Myroute app. Garmin Drive is running on the phone. Turn on the XT and let it connect to the phone (and the "Drive" app).

Start Myroute app, create or load your track. From the page menu where the track displays, select "save as" and pick your choice of format. I used the top version, gpx 1.1 with POI, route and track info included. I assume the other versions work the same as this, the steps are the same. Once you select the format, a "share with" list pops up, scrolling the apps will have the Garmin Drive app come into view. Select that and the app (Garmin Drive) will pop up confirming that it received the gpx file and that it can send it on to my Garmin device, that being the XT. Tapping "Send" will begin the transfer. Once transfer is completed, the XT will acknowledge the new track and asks if you want to convert it into a trip.

So there, transfer is possible, although a bit complicated.

I would guess other apps producing gpx files on the phone would work too as long as the Drive app is running to receive them and the XT connected to the phone to pass the file onto.
It works for me, simple to use saves the hassle of always having to connect to a PC. 👍
Paderu
Belgium

Post by Paderu »

"Start Myroute app, create or load your track. From the page menu where the track displays, select "save as" and pick your choice of format. I used the top version, gpx 1.1 with POI, route and track info included. I assume the other versions work the same as this, the steps are the same. Once you select the format, a "share with" list pops up, scrolling the apps will have the Garmin Drive app come into view. Select that and the app (Garmin Drive) will pop up confirming that it received the gpx file and that it can send it on to my Garmin device, that being the XT. Tapping "Send" will begin the transfer. Once transfer is completed, the XT will acknowledge the new track and asks if you want to convert it into a trip."

That is exactly what I do, but as soon as I send the gpx file to the Garmin Drive, it crashes. I would like to ride a part of the TET in France (dowloaded the gpx from their website and sent it with airdrop to my iphone) but can't put it on my XT :(((
auke54
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times
Netherlands

Post by auke54 »

Hello!

Please look into the IOS version of your Iphone and the GarminDrive app.
There is an issue: IOS update to 14.5.1(the latest) results in a crash of GarminDrive version 4.15.02(the latest) when sharing a GPX file. This is now allready a known issue. Garmin is working on it and will post an update as soon as possible.
Once it's crashed Drive will not be able to deliver all the other functions it's designed to do because it won't connect to your device.
To repair: Remove the app completely and reinstall it.(includes pairing device)
Until Drive is updated by Garmin, do not! share a GPX or you can start all over again.

Cheers!

But, the question was howto share a GPX to XT?
Explore will do the job nicely! Just take a Dive into this feature. Once you have it up and running it's easy as that. Share the GPX from your iPhone to Explore and it will sync at first with the Explore site at Garmin which on it's turn will sync to the XT. This will not effect the Drive problem mentioned above.

Enjoy!
XT (SystemSoftware 6.30)