How near to via point?

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Aggie95
United States of America

How near to via point?

Post by Aggie95 »

Does anyone know how near to a via point one must pass for the 595 to acknowledge that you have "passed through" the via point? I am planning routes for which the via points are almost always off the roadway by a few to several hundred feet. These points are usually in a park or a cemetery or a memorial park where I cannot ride my bike nearer than a few hundred feet.
If the 595 must pass closer than this, I need to account for that in my route planning and make the site a non alerting point and place an alerting point on the roadway nearby, so I don't have to use the "skip" function each time.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: How near to via point?

Post by sussamb »

I'm not sure it's defined anywhere, if it is I've never seen it in over 10 years of Garmin use. You'll certainly get away with a few feet but not hundreds, but where in that range is the maximum I've no idea.

If it were me I'd do what your suggesting, a via point before the turning then a shaping point at the site itself.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

I've had a similar problem which I solved by putting the via point on the road, ie offset from its physical location as I wasn't going to use the GPS to navigate to the via point off road.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

I seem to recall it's 30 meters. That, said the best way to deal with this is to place the via point on the road at the entrance to the park and place a shaping point at the precise spot.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

dont want to hijack a thread here....

this sounds like a similar issue I am having with waypoints and POI. As I am driving along, there will be a waterfall or cave I'd like to stop at. I need my unit to Identify it to me before I get there. On my old 60CSX the WAYPOINT flag would be clearly seen on the unit. The 595......nodda.
Aggie95
United States of America

Post by Aggie95 »

Patrick,

See the link below. This may be the answer to your issue. See especially Steps 6 & 9.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/30396
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

thanks for the response:

I have read that and I seem to, 1.) still be having issues. 2.) have unreasonable expectations of what should be happening when I get close to to a POI.

I did not previously due a "manual" load. So i have left my test file as is and reloaded the with the POI. I will see if that helps.

I think, It may be what I am doing in BC. Can you send me a file of POIs with alerts so I can take at look at them. My unit, does nothing. The other thing I would like it a library of BIG ICONS.

thank you
Aggie95
United States of America

Post by Aggie95 »

Update:

According to Garmin Product Support, the answer is ~50 feet, most of the time. See below:

However, I question if this is the correct answer because if the coordinates of original waypoint was determined with such accuracy, and the device, my Zumo, is this accurate, one could miss the waypoint by as much as 100 feet quite a lot of the time. As an engineer, I don't believe the trigger that Garmin programs into the receiver is equal to the maximum likely error. For what it's worth here is there answer; I got this answer twice from Support...
Since its all based off of the GPS signal the answer to your questions is going to be within 15 meters of a waypoint for your device to register.

Today's GPS receivers are extremely accurate, thanks to their parallel multi-channel design. Certain atmospheric factors and other sources (tall buildings, densely populated areas, etc.) of error can affect the accuracy of GPS receivers.

Garmin® GPS receivers are accurate to within 15 meters (49 feet) 95% of the time. Generally, users will see accuracy within 5 to 10 meters (16 to 33 feet) under normal conditions. To view the current accuracy rating of your device, refer to its Satellite Information Page.
The link to the "Satellite Information Page" was only available to Garmin Support, so I did not get any more info from there.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Press and hold the bars indicating signal strength to see the satellite page :D