660 in endless 'Updating GPS Firmware. 1%' loop

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
marta_gsrider

660 in endless 'Updating GPS Firmware. 1%' loop

Post by marta_gsrider »

Hi,
I'm new here and not a very techie rider, hope you guys can help me with an issue I have.
I just updated my Garmin Zumo 660 in Garmin Express. I had some overdue system and maps updates.
Everything seemed to go well during the update process.
But now once I've powered up the GPS there is this message that keeps coming up 'Updating GPS Firmware. 1%'.
And immediately after this other one comes: 'GPS update complete'.
And a few seconds after the whole thing stars again. Endless loop.
Can't do anything with the GPS because it's just focused on this process.
I've done a couple hard resets (the one pushing the lower right corner and the 'on' button) and erased all user data but it still does the same.
I connected the GPS again to Garmin Express and Garmin Express says everything is fine.
I don't know what else to do.
Any help is welcome!
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Re: 660 in endless 'Updating GPS Firmware. 1%' loop

Post by carolinarider09 »

marta_gsrider wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:29 pm Hi,
I'm new here and not a very techie rider, hope you guys can help me with an issue I have.
I just updated my Garmin Zumo 660 in Garmin Express. I had some overdue system and maps updates.
Everything seemed to go well during the update process.
But now once I've powered up the GPS there is this message that keeps coming up 'Updating GPS Firmware. 1%'.
And immediately after this other one comes: 'GPS update complete'.
And a few seconds after the whole thing stars again. Endless loop.
Can't do anything with the GPS because it's just focused on this process.
I've done a couple hard resets (the one pushing the lower right corner and the 'on' button) and erased all user data but it still does the same.
I connected the GPS again to Garmin Express and Garmin Express says everything is fine.
I don't know what else to do.
Any help is welcome!
Sorry, I cannot offer any help, just curious if you did find a reason. We all would be interested if the problem was resolved.
marta_gsrider

Post by marta_gsrider »

still doing the same - reinstalled software a couple more times, did some more had restarts but nothing worked.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you can access your device via Windows Explorer then delete gupdate.gcd as that is the update file, and it is probably corrupted. If it then starts normally you can then reinstall the update file.
marta_gsrider

Post by marta_gsrider »

sussamb wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:06 am If you can access your device via Windows Explorer then delete gupdate.gcd as that is the update file, and it is probably corrupted. If it then starts normally you can then reinstall the update file.
thanks for the additional advice - deleted the file & reinstalled software but it keeps doing the same
marta_gsrider

Post by marta_gsrider »

written to garmin - let's see how they can help - will share outcomes
HarveyM
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times
Canada

Post by HarveyM »

Here's a long shot to try (can't hurt!)

To download & install the current firmware 'manually'- https://sites.google.com/site/garmintip ... e-revision
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I wonder if this is related. When I went to update my maps two days ago, Express said my 660 needed a firmware update. This struck me as odd because as far as I know v5.10 is the last and latest version and has not been updated for a long time. Express did not give me the option of skipping the firmware update and I wanted the new maps, so I said OK.

At which point Express froze and I had to force quit, dismount my 660 and start over. This time there was no attempt to update the firmware and the map install went fine.

To the OP: do you have any previous gupdate.gcd files? If so, remove the possibly corrupt 5.10 and substitute one of the older ones. Then run Express again after rebooting the GPS and letting it install the older firmware. I have v4.90 if you need it to try this.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Hpm
Great Britain

Post by Hpm »

We jave one doing tha dame thing :roll:
Did you get a response from Garmin and get this sorted Marta?
balvord
United States of America

Post by balvord »

I also have a Zumo 660 with the exact firmware update problems. I was wondering if anyone has found a solution yet? Any help would be appreciated.