Maps to 550

Bpro215
United States of America

Maps to 550

Post by Bpro215 »

Have used my 550 since it cam out. Works great and when I update maps I can choose what regions I want then load to card. Now with the latest upgrade to Garmin Express I only have the option to load the lower 49 states. I need Canada for a upcoming trip. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong or how can I get Canada
Thanks Bill
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Maps to 550

Post by sussamb »

Normally with Express you must update the map you currently have installed. Having done so you then get the option to change regions. If that still doesn't work come back for further help.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Since you didn't mention it, I'll ask.
Are you trying to load Canada and the entire lower 48, or just Canada and the bordering states.
Where are you trying to load the maps, internal memory, or an expansion SD card.
Have you tried to load Canada using the Basecamp Mapinstall option?
Bpro215
United States of America

Post by Bpro215 »

Thanks guys. Got it figured out. After I loaded the lower 49 I found the option. I didn’t need it tho. I did load the maps for Canada on the card with map install. Doing this maybe once a year I tend to forget the process. Oh by the way it’s not the whole 49. Just the eastern side of USA that is on the internal memory. Guess I need to get a newer unit.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

How big is your SD card. Even a 4Gb card will hold the entire NA mapset. I primarily run a 32Gb card with music and have a backup 8Gb card.
The unit will work just fine with the entire map on the SD card. That's where I have mine installed.(as do many other users)

Unless you are having other issues with the unit, it is still very much useful yet.
Bpro215
United States of America

Post by Bpro215 »

Without looking at the size of card I believe it is 4g. I have had the rest of the USA on it at one time but to be honest with you, I never travel that far west then what I can fit on the internal memory of the eastern region. It just so happens that we are traveling to Canada, Prince Edward Island this summer so that is why I needed that section. I am aware you can fit the whole map set on a card. Just never needed to. A couple years from now when I do a dream trip out west then maybe by that time I may invest in a newer unit. As of now, no issues with the 550 since day 1 when they first came out.
menhir
United States of America

Post by menhir »

Lucky guy...Your 550 is still working. :D

Mine? Not so much. :|

I went through the same process on my 550...Not enough memory. I used the "cloning method" with an SD card. That went well the first time, but I had a some trouble installing further updates. Done, but not a smooth process.

As it turned out I had to get a newer GPS because my 550 developed a problem with the internal power connection which after a couple of years futzing around with it, I was never able to resolve or get repaired. That forced my hand.

The 550 was a great GPS for me and I'm dismayed that they don't make a new equivalent, otherwise I'd have bought it.

As it turned out, I purchased a reconditioned Zumo 660 which does far more than I need, but has been reliable.
Already though, it's running out of storage too. :cry: (I need all of USA and Canada.)
Based on answers I just received on this forum, it looks like the process of installing maps to the micro SD card on the Zumo 660 will be a much easier process.