Powered baseplate question

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
scridercoach
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Powered baseplate question

Post by scridercoach »

Received my 396 yesterday, which has the same powered baseplate as the 395. I have a question, though. The manual for both models shows how to slide the connector into the baseplate. What they don't show, however, is the orientation of pins. They appear just off center from the middle of its own housing. It's not clear if the pins should be closer to the outbound edge or inbound to the center of the plate. Sadly, my bike is actually at the shop getting some TLC. So I can't just attach it to the battery to see if the unit powers up or not. There's no marking or indication at all on the plug to determine the orientation. I've attached a picture to reference how I placed it. There's a bit of plastic ridging that seems to match what the manual picture represents. However, the manual shows a + symbol to the right and even an indent on the power source on the upper right corner. Neither of which are on my power plug. Can anyone concur I have it in correctly?

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_0100.png
IMG_0100.png (948.4 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Powered baseplate question

Post by electro_handyman »

I would think that if you look at the bottom of the unit, it should have a corresponding/matching notch for that rib to fit into. I'd bet that it will only fit one way.
scridercoach
United States of America

Post by scridercoach »

I would agree, but the notch in the actual unit is dead center between the contact points, whereas the "ridge" on the plate is not quite centered. Hence my questioning of myself. When I go to attach it, it's not possible to actually see if the contact points line up. Once my bike is back, I guess I'll know. It'll either work or I'll be undoing all bolts and nuts to reverse it.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Have you got a pic of the rear of the unit too?
scridercoach
United States of America

Post by scridercoach »

I'm guessing you mean the actual unit.
Attachments
IMG_0101.png
IMG_0101.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 3498 times
scridercoach
United States of America

Post by scridercoach »

Okay. I know all 2 of you were waiting with bated breath. Hooked it up today. It was attached with the correct orientation. Thank you, thank you, please hold your applause.
:mrgreen:
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

scridercoach wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 pm Okay. I know all 2 of you were waiting with bated breath. Hooked it up today. It was attached with the correct orientation. Thank you, thank you, please hold your applause.
:mrgreen:
but you have just educated us more and can now assist others :mrgreen:

Or point them to this thread :lol: