Staying with a pre-planned route

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Staying with a pre-planned route

Post by sussamb »

Your device will ignore shaping points if you're off route and do a Where to then select a waypoint. It will calculate it's own route to that waypoint then follow the route from there. That's how it's designed to work and how I'd want it to work. If you want to be able to select more points to join a route make them waypoints not shaping points
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by pidjones »

sussamb wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:24 pm Your device will ignore shaping points if you're off route and do a Where to then select a waypoint. It will calculate it's own route to that waypoint then follow the route from there. That's how it's designed to work and how I'd want it to work. If you want to be able to select more points to join a route make them waypoints not shaping points
Except they were directly on the route (zoomed in all the way in Basecamp) and worked fine once I told it to start from the origin - otherwise it decided to recalculate everything and jumped to interstates (no interstate avoid on the 396, just highways). Shaping points are to direct it to follow the pre-planned route - that's what I want a GPS to do unless I am free-riding, and then it is just to tell me where I am and how to get home (or to a gas station), which even Honda's brain-dead unit will do. I don't want my device announcing every shaping point I pass - just follow them.

BTW, my manual only has one mention of "Status Bar Icons" about tapping the icon to change automobile/motorcycle "transportation" mode. I tried a search in the pdf file on motorcycle, motorcycle mode, automobile, and home screen - nothing else about pressing the icon to change modes.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Possibly there is only one mention, does that matter?

Not sure I follow exactly what is going wrong with your route from your description. I think you're expecting one way whereas your Zumo is programmed another. I'll try to clarify what I posted. Whichever viapoint or waypoint you select having done a where to, your device will create its own route to that point. If it's the start of the route it'll take you there and then follow your route. If instead you select the first via point it will ignore any shaping points between the start and that via point, calculate its own route to that point and then follow your route. If you select the second via point again it will take you there ignoring any shaping points prior to that point and then follow your route. If something else is happening perhaps you could explain what it is?
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by pidjones »

sussamb wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:28 pm Possibly there is only one mention, does that matter?

Not sure I follow exactly what is going wrong with your route from your description. I think you're expecting one way whereas your Zumo is programmed another. I'll try to clarify what I posted. Whichever viapoint or waypoint you select having done a where to, your device will create its own route to that point. If it's the start of the route it'll take you there and then follow your route. If instead you select the first via point it will ignore any shaping points between the start and that via point, calculate its own route to that point and then follow your route. If you select the second via point again it will take you there ignoring any shaping points prior to that point and then follow your route. If something else is happening perhaps you could explain what it is?
But, it doesn't do that. It takes a route that I imported from Basecamp (everything set at no recalculations), iports, but when asked to take that route it recalculates the ENTIRE ROUTE neglecting all shaping points in the route. It will show the route before telling it to GO with shaping points as small bubbles, but when told to GO it announces calculations and when finished the resulting route is nothing like the original route. That is unless I tell it to start with the origin as the first via point. This is an unexpected and unwelcome action. Maybe I was "spoiled" by a correctly and predictably functioning StreetPilot 2730 for so many years. A little faster processor, much more memory, and a bit brighter screen and the 2730 would be selling twice the number of 396s just by word-of-mouth recommendations.

Tax and all I paid over $400 US for this. I'm considering listing it on eBay for $200 if I can get my old 2730 to load maps again.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well that's weird and none of my Garmins with trip planner work that way. Are you able to post your gpx file here?
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Hi guys, I've probably been one of the biggest moaners about the 346/396. I've also moaned about using BC as I find it far too complicated and finicky to use.
I've just got back from France using the 346 to navigate some pre-planned routes. Prepare yourselves.....IT WORKED PERFECT AND AS I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET IT TO WORK SINCE I'VE HAD IT!!

I've always used MyRouteApp ( Paid edition ) to make my routes but when they get put on my 346, they always went to cock when I came across a detour. It would always take me straight to the end point after a recalc.
This time, I tried planning with Myrouteapp, then saving as GPX 1.0.
I then imported that to " My collection" in BC. I double clicked on the imported route, which enabled me to choose the points I wanted to make as waypoints or shaping points. The end result was then sent to the device using BC.

The 346 is set to AUTO for recalculation, and fastest time. Avoidances are set at U Turn, car share lanes, and unpaved roads. BC is set to DRIVING NOT motocycle

When in France, every single time we hit a detour or road closed sign, the 346 recalculated and sent us to the next shaping point/waypoint in the list.
AND I EMPHASISE, THE NEXT POINT I WANTED IT TO, NOT WHERE IT THOUGHT I SHOULD GO.
HALLELUJAH!!!!

Yes it takes a whole 3 minutes more to do it this way, but I'm happy to do that as it saves me that and then some on the day.

** If you try the MyRouteApp free version, it uses the Opensource maps which are slightly different to the Here maps that Garmin use. The paid edition gives you the correct maps for Garmin, TomTom, and lots of others. Plan the route using the correct maps, and make sure to zoom right in on the area you are putting a waypoint to make sure it's the right side of the road etc.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Great to hear. I suspect it's using BaseCamp that made the difference. It would be interesting to see what happens if you cut out the MyRouteApp and create the route directly in BC. My routes for France are just planned in BC and work perfectly as well.
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Agreed, I have promised myself I will try and be a little more patient with BC and attempt more routes using it. I do like MRA as it is very clear and simple to use though.

Great trip to France, made a lot less stress free knowing that when the zumo rerouted, it was rerouting to my planned route.
I was advised to save or transfer using GPX 1.0 instead of 1.1, even though it's a new zumo. Do you use 1.1?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Sorry no idea, I just send the routes etc from BaseCamp :)
bazilica
Great Britain

Post by bazilica »

tojjer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:49 am Agreed, I have promised myself I will try and be a little more patient with BC and attempt more routes using it. I do like MRA as it is very clear and simple to use though.

Great trip to France, made a lot less stress free knowing that when the zumo rerouted, it was rerouting to my planned route.
I was advised to save or transfer using GPX 1.0 instead of 1.1, even though it's a new zumo. Do you use 1.1?
Hi tojjer....When you exported your gpx 1.0 file from MRA to BC,could you only see the "straight lines" between waypoints or was it the actual planned route?It seems to be ok in "track" view....this is such a faff...lol.