595 Installation

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Seagoon
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

595 Installation

Post by Seagoon »

I have finally given up trying to make my 550 work and have bought a 595. The first problem I have encountered is the 6 foot octopus cable.
1) What is the purpose of the USB socket on the cable?
2)My preferred method of connection requires only about 18"/50cm of cable and I have no intention of using the 3 audio wires so am I safe to cut off the 5 way connector and those wires? If I do that do I need to seal the cut ends of the wires and what should I use? Hot Glue? Insulating tape? Shrinkwrap?

TIA
Vespamarc
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times
Belgium

Re: 595 Installation

Post by Vespamarc »

U can use the usb for a mp3 player, phone etc... Works only when satnav is powered and on.

For the cable, yes you can cut:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-z ... to.976812/
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

The USB lead can also be used as a low amperage power source as well.
Seagoon
Great Britain

Post by Seagoon »

Thanks for the info. I'm on my way to the garage with snips in hand! :shock:
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Just a suggestion,could you not loop all the unwanted leads/cables together and zip tie them out of sight?
IF you ever decided to sell the 595 the bike mount may well be useless to someone else. A replacement is circa £65.
Replacement mounts for 660 are like rocking horse shit--595 ones may become similar??
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I opened mine and removed the connector and snipped it off just leaving the power wires! I then snipped the rest off!

Realising I still had too much I cut it down further using a new wire from my 4 way relay with a waterproof connector so I can totally remove my mount if I need to :)
Seagoon
Great Britain

Post by Seagoon »

kernowing wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:19 pm Just a suggestion,could you not loop all the unwanted leads/cables together and zip tie them out of sight?
IF you ever decided to sell the 595 the bike mount may well be useless to someone else. A replacement is circa £65.
Replacement mounts for 660 are like rocking horse shit--595 ones may become similar??
I hear what you are saying but I have a cigarette lighter socket on my headstock and want to plug into that so that I can remove the cradle when I don't need the GPS which is most of the time. There is no room for the entirety of the loom.
If you follow the links above there are various methods for achieving my aim, one of which entails removing the Garmin loom completely and fitting your own loom, including part numbers to get the right plug, cables and boot. It would then be possible to refit the correct loom when selling the unit.
I haven't decided which way to go yet and I haven't received some parts I would need for this weekends trip anyway so I shall decide next week.
Seagoon
Great Britain

Post by Seagoon »

Stu wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:05 pm I opened mine and removed the connector and snipped it off just leaving the power wires! I then snipped the rest off!

Realising I still had too much I cut it down further using a new wire from my 4 way relay with a waterproof connector so I can totally remove my mount if I need to :)
If I can't regain my long unused soldering expertise that may well be my solution :mrgreen: