How to put maps onto your PC

Adobney
Great Britain

Re: How to put maps onto your PC

Post by Adobney »

Hi Sussamb,
have managed to delete all maps from my PC. and BC now only has the global map on it, no others.

But right now, the zumo still has the NT 2018.20 and the 2013.40 maps on it. How can I delete the NT 2018.20 map from the zumo?

or is there a factory reset that I can do on the zumo that will wipe everything (not that I have anything on there I'm bothered about losing) and put it back to a clean slate?

cheers
Andrew
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

This depends on how the maps got there. If you sent them using MapInstall they should be in a folder named Map on your device or card (if you have one installed). Do a search for any file ending in .img. It's likely to be called gmapsupp.img. There are likely to be two other files starting gmapsupp but ending in .unl and .gma. All 3 files can be deleted and that should remove one of the maps. The other one will be in the .system folder but that one you can leave. When Express updates your device correctly that should be removed/overwritten by Express.

This may or may not make sense as without knowing exactly what has happened to your device I'm having to make a bit of a guess, but hopefully one backed up with a fair bit of knowledge. Come back if anything doesn't make sense when you start trying to do it.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Just adding to this to clear up confusion between NT and NTU maps. Older devices use NT maps, newer use NTU. Your 1490 uses NT but I'm not sure about your Zumo, I suspect it should be NTU.
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:40 am This depends on how the maps got there. If you sent them using MapInstall they should be in a folder named Map on your device or card (if you have one installed). Do a search for any file ending in .img. It's likely to be called gmapsupp.img. There are likely to be two other files starting gmapsupp but ending in .unl and .gma. All 3 files can be deleted and that should remove one of the maps. The other one will be in the .system folder but that one you can leave. When Express updates your device correctly that should be removed/overwritten by Express.

This may or may not make sense as without knowing exactly what has happened to your device I'm having to make a bit of a guess, but hopefully one backed up with a fair bit of knowledge. Come back if anything doesn't make sense when you start trying to do it.
My zumo has an internal storage and a memory card. I'll search tonight for the folders on both the internal storage and the memory card. I have certainly seen files with .img and .gma file name extensions. Can't remember having seen .unl. But you never know.

So you might be guessing, but you're rather good at it I think.
cheers
Andrew
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 am Just adding to this to clear up confusion between NT and NTU maps. Older devices use NT maps, newer use NTU. Your 1490 uses NT but I'm not sure about your Zumo, I suspect it should be NTU.
Since I don't use the 1490 for anything except driving (ie no route planning in BC) I think I'll delete the 1490 from Garmin Express, and once I've got the wrong/unuseable maps deleted from the Zumo, I'll only put the Zumo on Garmin Express. Hopefully that will lead to only the correct map updates being installed to the Zumo
cheers
Andrew
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I suspect part of your issue is that MapInstall has put maps in BaseCamp meant for your 1490 onto your Zumo, which is how you've ended up with both NT and NTU maps installed. Newer devices won't allow you to do this, MapInstall won't offer to load an incorrect map, but it did on older devices. Generally that wasn't an issue as folks tended to only have one device.
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

Hi, more related to routes on BC than the map problems I'm having:
I uninstalled BC from the PC and then reinstalled BC, and now only have the global map, but all the routes I had previously made in BC (on the inappropriate maps for my Zumo) are still in My collection in BC.
I had expected that, by uninstalling BC, all those routes would no longer exist.
Was I naive to think this?
cheers
Andrew
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes :D

Just as well really as when things go wrong in BaseCamp an uninstall then reinstall generally resolves it and if that deleted all the data it would be a real pain. If you want to delete data though it's very simple.
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:47 am Yes :D

Just as well really as when things go wrong in BaseCamp an uninstall then reinstall generally resolves it and if that deleted all the data it would be a real pain. If you want to delete data though it's very simple.

I think I might well want to delete the routes, on the basis that since they've all been created with an inappropriate map (for my zumo) they're not too much use. They would all undergo recalculation into the zumo map, and need checking that they still went exactly where I had wanted the route to go.

or is there an alternative? If I succeed in getting the 2013 map onto BC, and then open the routes in BC, would that then recalculate the routes in BC? I could then verify in BC if the routes are OK, and then upload them to the Zumo, which should then accept them as being created on the same map.

On a slightly different point, if you download routes from someone else/somewhere else (eg routes from RIDE or bestbiking roads) you don't know what map they were created with. Is it then best practice to open the tracks in BC, with the map you have installed on BC, and then convert that track to a route?

cheers
Andrew
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Once your Zumo is updated and BaseCamp with the same map you'll be able to recalculate the routes in BaseCamp so if they are routes you want I wouldn't delete them.

As for routes from 3rd parties, yes, definitely import them into BaseCamp then recalculate then send to your Zumo.

Not sure though why you talk about updating your map to 2013, the latest NTU map is 2018.30, that's what you should be installing to your Zumo and BaseCamp.