396LMT-S No Voltage at the cradle connector

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Nielo
Netherlands

396LMT-S No Voltage at the cradle connector

Post by Nielo »

hi All,
Newbie here. I have looked through older posts and I can't find anything similar to my problem so here we go:

I bought a 396LMT-S a little while ago. I installed it on my Multistrada and connected it directly to the battery. I had already charged the unit with the USB cable so I knew that was working fine.

The unit was not charging on the bike though. I measured the voltage over the little pins on the cradle but there was 0V.
I noticed that the cable was different to the cable that was shown in the manual. I have since learned that I have a later cable where the fuse is build-in with the 12V to 5V adaptor. I also read on the Garmin website that the fuse would reset if you disconnect it from power. Although I had done nothing to trigger the fuse I disconnected it anyway but even after a long time the fuse would not reset (if that was what was wrong in the first place).

I then went back to the shop and they swapped the cable for a new one. At home I connected the cable to a 12V battery charger and I measured the voltage over the little pins and it was 5V so all was good. When I connected the cable to the battery on the bike the same thing happened as before and there was no voltage over the little pins. Again I did not short anything so I have no idea what is going on. Currently there is no 5V over the little pins, not even when I remove it from the bike and try it again with the battery charger.

Should I not connect the cable directly to the battery?
Is there a trick to check the cable or force it to reset?
Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Nielo
Totti
Finland

Re: 396LMT-S No Voltage at the cradle connector

Post by Totti »

Sorry to hear about Your problems.
It does not matter wether You connect it directly to the battery or by an ignition controlled terminal. The current is the same in both ways.
Although,by connecting directly to the battery, the voltage can occasionally be over 12V.
I have noticed that by connecting directly to the battery, the Zumo cradle’s transformer dies more quickly, since it’s always “on”.
Please check that You haven’t messed up the plus and minus.

Can’t help with resetting the cable. This is the first time me hearing that these even exist.
”On se kumma kun tehdään kunniaa sille joka löi jalkansa poikki.
Vaan se jolla on päässä huminaa, sitä poloista häpeää kaikki.” Timo Rautiainen & Neljäs Sektori