Waypoints created in Garmin Explore

Got an How To Guide you want to share? Please use this section.
suzjsteele
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Waypoints created in Garmin Explore

Post by suzjsteele »

So I have had a Garmin devices for many years, previously I always used Basecamp for route planning but (i think) it is no longer supported and the maps are not updated/the same versions as the newer devices such as the Zumo XT so it is not compatible. Becasue of this on the last trip I did I used Garmin Explorer for the route planning without any issues. I created waypoints, routes and put into a Collection all of which synced with the XT and worked fine.

However I have just done the same exercise and although the Collection/routes/waypoints are all in the Zumo, when I view some of the routes on the map it does not show the waypoints i used to create the route or what I want to use. For example simple route of Start point 'hotel', stop on route waypoint to end point hotel - it completely misses out the stop onroute waypoint.

I have I missed something?

I recreated one of the routes in the Trip Planner app on the actual Zumo using the waypoints I'd created and sycned from Explorer and it seemed to work fine.

I've tried contacting Garmin support but quite frankly they were useless - if anyone could give me some pointers I would be really grateful.
jfheath
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 658 times
Great Britain

Re: Waypoints created in Garmin Explore

Post by jfheath »

suzjsteele wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:12 pm So I have had a Garmin devices for many years, previously I always used Basecamp for route planning but (i think) it is no longer supported and the maps are not updated/the same versions as the newer devices such as the Zumo XT so it is not compatible.
You can use Express to update the maps on the computer. I do it every time I update the map on the Zumo - as a separate process.
You may have to update your Zumo first, then update the computer.

I posted this imgae to someone else the other day. Nevermind, here it is again.

Image2.png
Image2.png (98.59 KiB) Viewed 245 times

suzjsteele wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:12 pm Because of this on the last trip I did I used Garmin Explorer for the route planning without any issues. I created waypoints, routes and put into a Collection all of which synced with the XT and worked fine.

However I have just done the same exercise and although the Collection/routes/waypoints are all in the Zumo, when I view some of the routes on the map it does not show the waypoints i used to create the route or what I want to use. For example simple route of Start point 'hotel', stop on route waypoint to end point hotel - it completely misses out the stop onroute waypoint.
I have I missed something?
I am not sure whether you mean that it isn't showing on the map, or that it isn't showing in the route.

Waypoints are saved location that show up in the Zumo Favourites. If you have Explore enabled, then they appear is small icons - of your choice. If they coincide with route Via Point (which they would at the start and end), then the orange, green or chequered flag is also displayed.

However the waypoints that you place in Explore will never appear as part of the route on the Zumo. The route and the waypoints are two separate things. They appear to be part of the route becasue they are plotted on the part of the map that the route passes through. But the route itself knows nothing about them. It cannot announce or give you an ETA for the next Via Point. Explore routes do not have Via Points or Shaping POints.

However - if you mean that they are just not showing up, this might be to do with collections. In your App, or on the website, you can set collections to be visible or invisible. This might be the cuplprit. Its in the Collections on Map screen for Explore

Here is what I wrote a year or so ago about the XT and Explore. The last part is more relevant to your query. P65 shows the collections on map feature.

app.php/ZXT-P55
suzjsteele wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:12 pm I recreated one of the routes in the Trip Planner app on the actual Zumo using the waypoints I'd created and sycned from Explorer and it seemed to work fine.
That is a quick and convenient way to do it. The waypoints are available to the XT in Favourites ("Saved" in the USA) and it is easy to build a route using them - providing that you can remember the order ! The XT will then calculate a route to join them together.

Routes from Explore don't use any visible route points. You draw a series of straightlines, and the Zumo calculates a route using roads to join up the 'corners' There are a couple of images of that happening in the link above.
suzjsteele wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:12 pm I've tried contacting Garmin support but quite frankly they were useless -
No comment. They should have been able to answer this. Phoning is usually more positive. Email - you just get someone copying and pasting links to the online manual. In my experience there is very little joined up thinking goes on.

In a Phone call you can say I've tried that, done that, that didn't work. I'm now at a loss, which is why I called the experts.

Or you could just ask us.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
colirv
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:04 pm You can use Explorer to update the maps on the computer. I do it every time I update the map on the Zumo - as a separate process.
You may have to update your Zumo first, then update the computer.
Do you mean Garmin Express? Moderator: Yes I do. Thank you. Corrected.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com
suzjsteele
Great Britain

Post by suzjsteele »

Thanks. I've checked and everying in Explore is visible.
The waypoint isn't showing in the route which is what you have explained why below, but I don't recall that being a problem on my last trip.

I have attached the varying images so you can see
1. Screenshot of the route created in Explore
2. Same route in Zumo when synced
3. Map view in Zumo which shows the waypoints
4. Trip created in the Trip Planner App on the Zumo using the synced waypoints

(Click the image to getthe original larger version.)

Screenshot from Explorer b.jpg
Screenshot from Explorer b.jpg (474.91 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Explore Route In Zumo b.jpg
Explore Route In Zumo b.jpg (269.55 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Map View in Zumo - shows waypoints b.jpg
Map View in Zumo - shows waypoints b.jpg (449.52 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Trip Planner App Route b.jpg
Trip Planner App Route b.jpg (391.48 KiB) Viewed 198 times

I think the answer might be to edit the route in Explore by adding more shaping points rather than the waypoints
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I am confused. (I've got the image orientation sorted out and the sequence now matches your text)

As I understand :

You cannot add waypoints to a route in Explore. You can add them to the map, but they do not affect the route in any way.

Waypoints do get sent to the XT - but again, they do not affect routing.

Routes in Explore consist of straight lines. If you make them short lines, the path created has plenty of corners. The route created by the XT will pass through every corner. As if they were shaping points. If you have Waypoints on these corners - it looks like they are part of the route - but they are not.

You can get the plotted line to follow the line of roads - but these are courses. Its been a while since I checked, but these could not be sent to the XT. Also, courses had a nasty habit of following footpaths and tracks rather than roads.

Explore doesn't have an option for plotting shaping points or via points. Only Waypoints which are not part of the route.

Its been a while since I checked this out, so I'll revisit it just to make sure that it hasn't changed. I'm sidelining my XT anyway. No harm in reinstalling Explore....

See 7a and 7b here. app.php/ZXT-P55

jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

@suzjsteele

I have a video for you which may help. It isn't very polished and could do with cutting down a bit. But it already took longer to make that I wanted, so I hope it will do.

It explains about making an Explore Route.
Explains that Waypoints have nothing to do with the route created on Explore
What the XT uses in order to plot the route.
and demonstrates a very common error when the route gets completely disregarded.

I've just played it back and realised that some of the points that I plotted were not on roads - they were on footpaths or trails, but the XT seems to have accepted those. That is careless route planning on my part. It doesn't detract from the instruction though !

suzjsteele
Great Britain

Post by suzjsteele »

Thank you so much, I have learnt some really useful points already but I’m sure the video will assist me further. I really appreciate all your help and suggestions! I do think Garmin are not as joined up as they should be.

The point you made about waypoints and routes being completely separate now makes sense, strange as it is that Garmin would produce some so called route planning software that helps so little with actual planning.

I mentioned about shaping in Explore and i have found it is possible, similar to that offered by Google Maps. If you create a straight line route and then select to amend it, it is possible to grab and drag tiny little boxes on the line to shape the route and when synced the XT does seen to recognise the shaping.

I had a go at trying to update the maps in Basecamp from Express on pc but it failed.

The trip planner app on the XT is a good tool as long as you have all the waypoints etc that you need already loaded, I’ve created several complex routes this week with success 👏😀
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

suzjsteele wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:42 pm I had a go at trying to update the maps in Basecamp from Express on pc but it failed.
Basecamp was shutdown right. Also, installing the map may require that you are logged in to the PC with an account that has administrator privileges. Perhaps running Express as an admin would be enough. Not sure though.
suzjsteele wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:42 pmThe trip planner app on the XT is a good tool as long as you have all the waypoints etc that you need already loaded, I’ve created several complex routes this week with success
An advantage to creating routes in Basecamp is that you can control the roads you ride on between the route points. This seemed impossible in the trip planner app when I did rudimentary testing early on before relegating it to the "it's not for me" pile. I just tried it again and discovered the "Browse map" function which is promising for setting route points on roads you want to travel, at least for short routes. Not for creating a multi-hundred mile trip on which you want to stay off interstate highways though.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.