Planned distance not making sense

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 128 times
Netherlands

Re: Planned distance not making sense

Post by FrankB »

If you can't install Basecamp, for whatever reason, you could try MRA: https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/

In addition to an App for IOS and Android, it is also webbased. Lots of people like it, so it must provide reasonable to good results. (Although I still prefer Basecamp)
Chopperbob
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Netherlands

Post by Chopperbob »

In the mean time I have found a way to modify the exported file via another system to Garmin GPX, which seems to also have resolved the problem!

via this website:

https://gpxshaping.de/GPX/GpxShaping.html

The distances now make sense, and importing into Explore using routes rather than tracks (too many waypoints), however it cuts of a lot of the curved roads....

Perhaps need Garmin Basecamp software to make it better for planning routes...
Chopperbob
Netherlands

Post by Chopperbob »

to be honest, the whole experience with the Zumo XT is sh!tty

Spend 500eur on a unit and there is no way you can do decent route planning because the sh!tty software either on the unit itself or provided by Garmin doesn't work.

Importing tracks from other systems is marginal at best.

This whole experience makes me feel like throwing the whole thing away, wouldn't even want to sell it..
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

A winning combination is Basecamp for route planning and these forums for working through the idiosyncrasies of the XT and Basecamp. Garmin is trying to steer us to mobile device route planning tools like Garmin Explore and Tread but only a few people here have indicated that they find them of value.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 88 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Don't give up yet!

I have owned a bunch of GPSes over many years and this phrase you posted is key to the problems you are having: "Importing tracks from other systems..." Trying to get consistency between different units, different software, and different maps can drive you crazy.

This is why I do all my route planning in Basecamp (with Google maps open in the background to visually verify choices). Yes, BC is a bit clunky and not the easiest app to learn. But once you are done making a route, it stands a much better chance of working properly on your XT than a route from any other source. I'm not saying other sources can't work. I am saying that they need to be carefully checked and edited and the best tool for that is BC. So why not bite the bullet and just start out in BC? That works for me, and has done so for many thousands of miles ridden in previously unfamiliar territory. But I understand it's not everyone's ideal solution.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Chopperbob
Netherlands

Post by Chopperbob »

The problem with base camp is that it needs to connect to the Zumo XT to upload the maps. And it won't connect, therefore no planning possible!!

Any body can explain how I can get Explore to make a route between two or more waypoints?

Robert
jfheath
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 658 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Chopperbob wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:57 pm The problem with base camp is that it needs to connect to the Zumo XT to upload the maps. And it won't connect, therefore no planning possible!!
No - that isn't correct. In Garmin Express, you can install the same maps that you have on your XT to the computer.

Ignore 'Manage Maps' on the right. Select Map Details instead.
Don't change the location from the one it suggests.
Some time later - 2 or3 hours on my computer - it will have installed, and Basecamp will find it.

Image2.png
Image2.png (98.59 KiB) Viewed 193 times

I assume that if your Zumo won't connect you will have to export the routes, tracks and waypoints that you need from Basecamp to a GPX file and put it into your SD card slot - or create a gpx file and email it to your phone and let Garmin drive put it onto the Zumo.
Chopperbob wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:57 pm Any body can explain how I can get Explore to make a route between two or more waypoints?

Robert
The Explore App. Although you can place waypoints, they do not form part of the route like they do in BAsecamp, Kurviger, My Route App. THey are just shown on the screen.

If you make a route consisting of straight lines in Explore, when it is transferred to the Zumo it will create a route that goes through the 'corners' in the route - but the route itself has no route via points and shaping points. That means if it gets recalculated or edited, you end up going straight to the end. But it doesn't get altered accidentally. If you deviate, it finds a way to get back onto the magenta line again. Its a good solution. It made sense the few times that I tried it. I had to negotiate a road closure in the Pennines, so I had to go way of route, but as soon as I started heading towards the magenta line ahead - it spotted it and navigated me towards it.

See my link and explanation here. app.php/ZXT-P61
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Chopperbob wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:57 pm The problem with base camp is that it needs to connect to the Zumo XT to upload the maps. And it won't connect,
That's new to me. All my navs, even the 12 y/o Nuvi 1450 can connect to BC.
Another alternative is to plan a route in Furkot.com. The full version to include the Via and Shaping points for newer navs is I think $14/yr (Probably as Kurviger), but much easier to learn than the BC and the GPX files are good for Garmin.
danham
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 88 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Chopperbob wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:57 pm The problem with base camp is that it needs to connect to the Zumo XT to upload the maps. And it won't connect, therefore no planning possible!!

Robert
What kind of computer? If it's a Mac you will need Android File Transfer (free app) to connect an XT. If Windows, you'll need help from others in this forum.

Which USB cable? The one that came with it should work; some aftermarket ones stubbornly don't, but some do. Keep trying. Also try different USB ports on your computer.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

danham wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:52 pm Which USB cable? The one that came with it should work; some aftermarket ones stubbornly don't, but some do. Keep trying. Also try different USB ports on your computer.
That is my thinking too. Some cables will not carry data (charging only cables). A charging only cable is needed when you want to use the XT in a car, powered by plugging it into a USB port in the car. Such a cable will not work to connect the XT to a PC. I have also experienced devices that were not recognized when plugged into a certain USB port on my PC but would work with the others.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.