Using a Packtalk Edge with a Zumo 595

Got any questions about Audio, Headsets and Earplugs then please use this section.
OldRS
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Using a Packtalk Edge with a Zumo 595

Post by OldRS »

Scarecrow wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:23 pm This might help

at around 10:32 in

Thank you so much
Owner of a, greatly treasured, Zumo 550 and, deeply loathed, Zumo 595.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 630 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

OldRS wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:00 pm
My, possible, solution to using a phone to tweek the Cardo settings was going to be to take a second phone that is only used for that purpose and not switched on when the Cardo, Zumo and phione with Garmin Smart Link are in use. Would that work?
Yes - I think so. It would save messing with anything on your 'real' phone. Just turn the setup phone off when you have done so that the Cardo cannot find it.

Actually - thats not a bad idea at all. I have a cheap 'average intelligence' phone. (ie it isn't as good as a Smart Phone and has a watered-down version of Android - but it is not as limited as my very old Nokia 301 'Thick Prhone' ). I carry it around as an emergency phone - it doesn't have a SIM card, but If I break my main phone there is something there to replace it, and I can still use it to dial emergency services (I think).

But that could be used for the Edge setup - it only needs BT, not a SIM card.

Good plan sir.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

OldRS wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:00 pm My, possible, solution to using a phone to tweek the Cardo settings was going to be to take a second phone that is only used for that purpose and not switched on when the Cardo, Zumo and phione with Garmin Smart Link are in use. Would that work?
This is an great idea. Having to manage my two Cardo's by connecting/disconnecting each one to my phone, and then making sure to tell my phone to forget them both before I ride is a PITA. Using an old phone to manage the Cardo's is ingenious. I just plugged an old one in to charge. Next step will be to see if I can get the Cardo Connect app installed on it.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I'm astounded!!! I pulled an old iPhone7 out of the junk drawer, charged it, connected it to home wi-fi, when to the app store and installed Cardo Connect on it, and then attached and configure my and my wife's Packtalk Bold units. Not only am I surprised that this works, but I was also surprised that the app installer detected the old IOS version on the phone and offered to install the latest compatible Cardo Connect version.

That phone has now been placed in the box where the Packtalk's live.
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

Peobody wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:49 pm I'm astounded!!! I pulled an old iPhone7 out of the junk drawer, charged it, connected it to home wi-fi, when to the app store and installed Cardo Connect on it, and then attached and configure my and my wife's Packtalk Bold units. Not only am I surprised that this works, but I was also surprised that the app installer detected the old IOS version on the phone and offered to install the latest compatible Cardo Connect version.

That phone has now been placed in the box where the Packtalk's live.

Which version of the Cardo app are you using on you iphone 7? My, spare, iphone is a 6 and runs version 5.9 and returns a "connection error" as does my ipad also running 5.9 when I attempt to establsh a connect to the app even though I can create a BT connection between phone/ipad and the the Edge. Looks as though I will have to carry my work phone as well as my private phone. Not the end of the world but . . .

The current version of the app is 7.6.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

OldRS wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:12 am Which version of the Cardo app are you using on you iphone 7?
v5.9, same as you.
OldRS wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:12 am My, spare, iphone is a 6 and runs version 5.9 and returns a "connection error" as does my ipad also running 5.9 when I attempt to establsh a connect to the app even though I can create a BT connection between phone/ipad and the the Edge.

I don't know what you mean by this. I don't receive a connection error but then I don't see an update check occur either. I don't recall what that looked like. I will try it on my other phone when I have some time which won't be for about 12 hours. Other than that, management of my Packtalks appears to work fine with v5.9.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

It just dawned on me that it may require an internet connection to do an update check. By "update check" I mean device firmware.

Edit: DOH! This doesn't make sense considering I am wifi connected and could get to the app store so forget I said it.
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

Peobody wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:13 am
OldRS wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:12 am Which version of the Cardo app are you using on you iphone 7?
v5.9, same as you.
OldRS wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:12 am My, spare, iphone is a 6 and runs version 5.9 and returns a "connection error" as does my ipad also running 5.9 when I attempt to establsh a connect to the app even though I can create a BT connection between phone/ipad and the the Edge.

I don't know what you mean by this. I don't receive a connection error but then I don't see an update check occur either. I don't recall what that looked like. I will try it on my other phone when I have some time which won't be for about 12 hours. Other than that, management of my Packtalks appears to work fine with v5.9.
Interesting.

The "connection error" appears when I am trying to add the Edge to the app even though I have no trouble creating a BT connection between the phone and the Edge. I will take screen shots of what I see with the "old" phone but, possibly, not until tomorrow. I have, very vague, memory of encountering problems with the iphone 6 and the Cardo app with a Cardo G9, thus it may be the age of the iphone that is causing problems.

Thanks

Richard
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have never had to add a Packtalk to the Cardo Connect app. It just sees the one that is BT connected to the phone. Perhaps the device addition on the app only needs to be done once and I have forgotten doing it when I first used the app.

I just connected a Packtalk and fired up the Cardo Connect app on my everyday phone. I did not see any indication of a device software check being done. It must be happening in the background, only popping up a notice when a new version is available so I don't know of a way to tell whether it is happening on the old phone.

Edit: The fog just cleared. Cardo Connect does not do the device software updates. They are done using a PC program called Cardo Update.
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

Pictures. Hopefully legible

Those named "iphone 6 . . " show the unsuccessful attempt to connect the cardo to an iphone 6 with v5.9 of Cardo Connect
Those named "iphone 14 . .. " show the successful attempt to connect the cardo to an iphone 14 with v7.6 of Cardo Connect
"Zumo" shows that my devices are paired thus: "RS_phone" <-> Zumo <-> Cardo Edge

Hopefully, this will ensure that the Edge does not attempt to control the phone which feeds the data from Garmin Smart Link and phone calls to the Zumo . . . ("RS_Phone)

It's unfortunate that I cannot establish a connection between the iphone 6 and the Edge because the iphone 14 belongs to my employer. Can anyone suggest why the 6 is not useable? PS. I find it odd that the Edge appears to be connected as audio source to the iphone 6 - evidence being the microphone.
Attachments
zumo.JPG
zumo.JPG (353.03 KiB) Viewed 119 times
iphone 14_3.JPG
iphone 14_3.JPG (438.35 KiB) Viewed 119 times
iphone 14_2.JPG
iphone 14_2.JPG (405.29 KiB) Viewed 119 times
iphone 14_1.JPG
iphone 14_1.JPG (364.47 KiB) Viewed 119 times
iphone 6_3.JPG
iphone 6_3.JPG (403.63 KiB) Viewed 119 times
iphone 6_2.JPG
iphone 6_2.JPG (394.09 KiB) Viewed 119 times
iphone 6_1.JPG
iphone 6_1.JPG (338.06 KiB) Viewed 119 times