Pairing Zumo 660 with Cardo EDGE?

Got any questions about Audio, Headsets and Earplugs then please use this section.
stkm04
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Pairing Zumo 660 with Cardo EDGE?

Post by stkm04 »

Hello -

Did anybody ever manage to pair a ZUMO 660 with the Cardo EDGE headset? If so, how did you manage to do that?

This is what I tried:

Switch on both the EDGE and the ZUMO.
On the Zumo enable BT
On the Edge press&hold the Phone button (lower button) unto I hear "Phone pairing".
On the Edge, tap the Phone button once more "GPS pairing".
On the Zumo (in the BT menu) press the Audio button. Now the Zumo is looking for a new device.
After a couple of seconds the Edge shows up as a new device.
On the Edge I hear "GPS connected".
However on the Zumo a message appears (something like) "Pair failed, do you want to enter a different passkey". I press YES and enter 0000. (I also tried 1234).
However, the pairing fails again.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Stefan
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Re: Pairing Zumo 660 with Cardo EDGE?

Post by jfheath »

It has been a long time since I owned a 660.

But... Some things I discovered with the Edge and my current Zumo

* Pair the edge as a second phone, not as a GPS
* The passkey for the Edge is 0000. I don't recall ever using it.

The opportunity to pair times out after a short time.

Make sure that there are no devices nearby that will try to pair with your headset. Eg your phone. Turn it off / forget the headset / reset the headset. Whatever. You don't want the headset to find anything except the 660.

Turn on headset. Know which button to press to pair, but don't press it. Make sure you can hear the headset prompts.

Turn on 660 - have it powered so it doesn't turn off

On 660, turn on bluetooth, find Disconnect all other devices -- ie forget them.

Search for new devices

Press the button to pair on the headset

Make sure that you can hear satnav prompts through the headset / clicks / music .....

Now turn both units off. Completely off. Ive forgotten but the Zumos usually require a 10 second press of the power button, and the a response on the screen to shut it down.
Then start up the Zumo
Then start up the headset.

The two devices should pair automatically.

Then pair your phone to the 660. Not to the headset.
Turn on headset.

Select Bt on the 660
Start Bt searching. it should find your phone.

If not try again but this time initiate the pairing on the phone. 660 should display a prompt to confirm pairing request.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
stkm04
United States of America

Post by stkm04 »

Thanks! I'll try that.
stkm04
United States of America

Post by stkm04 »

@jfheath:

I managed to pair the 660 and the Edge. The vital hint you gave me was to pair it as 2nd phone on the Edge side. On the ZUMO side I used the Audio channel. Now it works as I want:

Edge Phone 1 <-> My cellphone
Edge Phone 2 <-> Zumo 660 (Audio channel).

Also, it seems that one has to switch on the Zumo first and only once the Zumo has fully booted up power up the Edge in order to establish that BT connection again automatically.

Thanks again!
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

stkm04 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:01 pm @jfheath:

I managed to pair the 660 and the Edge. The vital hint you gave me was to pair it as 2nd phone on the Edge side. On the ZUMO side I used the Audio channel. Now it works as I want:

Edge Phone 1 <-> My cellphone
Edge Phone 2 <-> Zumo 660 (Audio channel).

Also, it seems that one has to switch on the Zumo first and only once the Zumo has fully booted up power up the Edge in order to establish that BT connection again automatically.

Thanks again!
Glad that worked.

As for needing to wait for one to boot first ..

That is determined by the time-out factor. After a certain amount of time, a device using BT will stop trying to conennect, so if the Zumo hasn't started up in that time, yes that will be an issue.

If I remember correctly, the battery in the 660 keeps its charge pretty well. I used to use mine when I was documenting walks for a local rambling group. Stick it in my rucksack turned on and it would record a track of where i had been then plot the track on the maps when I got home. It also gave very useful info about how long the group were taking - extremely useful for planning other walks. So it must have been 3-4 hours that it was on for.

You can turn Zumos off in two ways
i) Put it to sleep - which is what it does when it loses bike power, or when you press the power button. It is ready to wake up again as soon as it gets power or as soon as you press the button. It shouldn't need to go through the long boot-up process.
ii) Turn it off - completely. I cannot remember for the 660 but my last 3 Zumos have all done theis the same way. Hold in the power button for 10 seconds, until a message comes up on the screen asking if youw ant to shut it down. You say yes.

If it has shut down completely - or if you battery is completely useless - then it will need that long reboot process. In which case yes, the Edge will probably time out before the 660 is ready.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
stkm04
United States of America

Post by stkm04 »

Thanks for the explanation. Makes total sense!