Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 624 times
Great Britain

Re: Trip Planner Routes

Post by jfheath »

'Rout' without the 'e' is pronounced Rowt. That means:

" ... in retreat in a disorderly fashion, or is in a state of confusion".

Given what the XT gets up to, I wonder if 'Rowt' is the correct pronunciation ! :twisted:
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 286 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Below is a photo of the appropriate section in The Living Webster Encyclopedic Dictionary of the English Language copyright 1977.
According to this, 'route' is not pronounced 'root' but 'rout' so if 'rout' is pronounced the same as 'rowt' then a 'route' is 'rout' not a 'root". :D
I wonder if my mind will now standardize what comes out of my mouth.

I'm sure there are sources that contradict this aged, yellowed, old smelling dictionary sitting on my bookshelf. There is no need to seek them out. This is just fun. Pronounce 'route' however you want.

pasted.png
pasted.png (450.24 KiB) Viewed 156 times
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:11 pm The mArrival bytes in the .trip file may be a red herring as far as this is concerned.
John, I may not have explained it quite correctly.
The mArrival field is stored for every Begin/Via/Shaping and End point. The sorting of the trips, routes, rowts or whatever you pronounce them, is done on the mArrival field of the Begin point. This point can be set from BC by setting the departure time of the Begin point. It is then copied to 'trp:DepartureTime' in the GPX.
The other points are not relevant for sorting.
Digging deeper, the field is the nbr of seconds since 1989/12/31 00:00:00 stored in presumably UTC/GMT.

I tested it with 6 routes in BC with a departure date starting from 1990/1/1 00:00:00 to 1990/1/1 02:00:00. I used those dates, so the values in the file would be near to zero. They showed up in the XT in that order.
Then I modified the last route and set the field to '00 00 00 10' (16 seconds after midnight 1989/12/31). After restarting the XT it was the first.

Edit: This would explain why trips that have no departure date set always appear on top. They have a value of '00 00 00 00' in mArrival, so that's the lowest value possible.

The field is stored like a Unix Epoch, except that it does not start from 1970/1/1 but from 1989/12/31. https://www.epochconverter.com/

I agree that this info is not very useful.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:53 pm Edit: This would explain why trips that have no departure date set always appear on top. They have a value of '00 00 00 00' in mArrival, so that's the lowest value possible.
This makes sense, although completely illogical from an XT user standpoint. Do you think that secondary sort of routes without a departure date is then random?
Do you have a clue why a newly saved route on the XT sorts to the top? By "saved route on the XT" I mean a route created on the XT, started, then saved using the Trip Planner 'save current' function. I haven't tested whether doing this as a way to flip the mimport bit also sort to the top but I suspect so since a new .trip file gets created.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:27 pm Do you have a clue why a newly saved route on the XT sorts to the top?
I'm guessing! The newly created route has a new begin point. That new begin point will have the mArrival field set to zero.
Will need testing.
Peobody wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:27 pm I haven't tested whether doing this as a way to flip the mimport bit also sort to the top but I suspect so since a new .trip file gets created.
My bet would be that it does not affect sorting.
Will also need testing.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

This is my third day home after my last trip. I just fired up my XT so that I could delete the route and track associated with that trip. What a surprise it was to see that the sort order in the Delete Trips function of Trip Planned is different from the Trip Planner Saved Trips list. I don't know why this surprised me. Heaven forbid Garmin should be consistent across different functions within the same device.

There is no discernable logic to the sort order of the route list in the Delete Trips function. Mine contains 21 routes. The 5 trip related ones that I want to delete are in places #7,8,16,19,& 20 whereas in the Saved Trips list they are #14,18,19,20, & 21. The sequence of these 5 is different between the two lists as well. :roll:

The only consistency is that the one trip that I created and then saved on the XT is sorted at the top in both the Trip Planner list and the Delete Trips list. It is the newest route by creation date so that may have some relevance.
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 624 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It would make sense to have the ones created earliest as being the ones most likley to need deletion. But I can't say that I had noticed that before - I usually just clear all of them out and start afresh..
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.