XT coming next week

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 630 times
Great Britain

Re: XT coming next week

Post by jfheath »

My feeling is that the wall socket is enough to charge the battery - but from completely flat it may well take 24 hours to bring it up to fully charged.
I have noticed with one of my devices, if I leave it connected but turned on for a long time (eg overnight when I forgot to disconnect it), the unit turned off within less than a minute after unplugging. It was flat. Make sure that the unit is turned off with the switch after plugging it in to charge - as described above. Then leave it. Come back same time tomorrow.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@jfheath - be careful with the term 'turned off', this could be misleading for new users! When you want to charge the unit from a wall charger, it should be in standby - not turned off!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:11 pm My feeling is that the wall socket is enough to charge the battery - but from completely flat it may well take 24 hours to bring it up to fully charged.
I agree with this. In fact, I think it is a good rule of thumb to take it out of the box and plug it into a wall charger for at least 12 hours. If it boots when first plugged in then give the power button a quick press to put it into charging mode (you will see the notice about charging), otherwise just let it sit. The hard part is resisting the urge to play with your new toy. :D
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

lkraus wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:45 pm
Looking at this again today, I am still befuddled that a 2A USB charger (2A x 5V= 10watts) would not provide enough power to boot the dead XT, but on the 13.6V power supply, the XT started just fine while drawing only 0.42A, or 5.7 watts of power.
Just an amateur guess, but I wonder if some of the other pins in the bike mount supply something that helps "wake up" a dead battery?

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

danham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:51 pm
lkraus wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:45 pm
Looking at this again today, I am still befuddled that a 2A USB charger (2A x 5V= 10watts) would not provide enough power to boot the dead XT, but on the 13.6V power supply, the XT started just fine while drawing only 0.42A, or 5.7 watts of power.
Just an amateur guess, but I wonder if some of the other pins in the bike mount supply something that helps "wake up" a dead battery?

-dan
There are only two pins in the mount: +5VDC and ground.
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

lkraus wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:45 pm Out of the box, the battery was too weak to boot, even on 2 A USB charger. The screen showed charging, but the boot progress bar reached only about 10% before shutting down.

I connected the motorcycle mount to a nominal 12 V regulated power supply,
With the power supply providing 13.6 V, the XT started, .

thanks for your post, very helpful, and my XT arrived today, and I'm going to rig up the XT in the mount to an old (but still good) bike battery to charge it up.
prior to your post I was thinking of using a 2.1A USB charger, that thinking is gone now. all I have to do now is figure out how to connect the bare positive/negative mount wires to the old bike battery terminals.
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

just to see what would happen, I connected the XT to a 2.1A USB charger and plugged the charger into wall current, and the XT turned on, I went thru the initial setup questions on the XT (like choosing country and language), then I pressed the start button on the back of the XT once to put it into sleep mode, and now it's sitting on the USB charger and I'll leave it like that to see what happens. time for a coffee 8-)
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

a quick question, will this XT need a tether tie cord of some kind to the bike, in case of accidental pressing the unit release lever on the mount?
in other words, is there a risk of the unit falling off the mount when riding?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Some people experience a reassuring click when the XT is put in the mount, others, like me, don't. Either way, it is very secure in the mount but certainly could become loose if the release lever is pushed. See this discussion about a locking mechanism:
viewtopic.php?t=2345
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

what about a sticky pad with hook on it pressed onto the back of the XT and that pad tied with zip tie thru the pad hook to handlebars?