BT Headset for XT needed any ideas?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Re: BT Headset for XT needed any ideas?

Post by jfheath »

Be aware that Bluetooth trans-ceivers need power - and if they get it from the bike, then they are subject to when the ignition is turned on / off

That's all very well - but then they may also be hands free - only searching for devices to pair with within the first xx seconds of being turned on.

I had one when I first got the XT - and autocom BTM03 - it worked very well - except when it didn't. And that was largely due to my setting off routine. I'd have the ignition set ot accessories to establish the pairing, get on the bike, fire up the engine and set off. I think it was pressing the starter that did it. Withina couple of minutes of setting off, it would report that the phone was no longer connected and instructions weren't coming from the satnav. I think that it had been hunting for a new connection, and when it didn't find one, broke the existing one, or turned off.

I got used to it and it was reliable. But it was a headache for a long time until I figured it out. If I left the ignition off until I was ready to go and then switch on and set off, all was well.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

twowheelstom wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:39 pm I love my wired earbuds because I don't see any room on my half helmet to clip a bluetooth headset, and this bluetooth receiver looks like the solution. I do want to get the XT. Where did you place/locate the bluetooth receiver on your bike? Can it be velcored somewhere on the bike?
I did not mount it. I drop it in a shirt or jacket pocket. But it can be easily velcroed somewhere depending on how much you tolerate the wire blowing around.

jfheath wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:03 pm Be aware that Bluetooth trans-ceivers need power - and if they get it from the bike, then they are subject to when the ignition is turned on / off

That's all very well - but then they may also be hands free - only searching for devices to pair with within the first xx seconds of being turned on.

I had one when I first got the XT - and autocom BTM03 - it worked very well - except when it didn't. And that was largely due to my setting off routine. I'd have the ignition set ot accessories to establish the pairing, get on the bike, fire up the engine and set off. I think it was pressing the starter that did it. Withina couple of minutes of setting off, it would report that the phone was no longer connected and instructions weren't coming from the satnav. I think that it had been hunting for a new connection, and when it didn't find one, broke the existing one, or turned off.

I got used to it and it was reliable. But it was a headache for a long time until I figured it out. If I left the ignition off until I was ready to go and then switch on and set off, all was well.
Many bikes are different, "a man's got to know his limitations." :) My gps power is never interrupted when starting the bike and my Bluetooth adapter is rechargeable battery powered and is never plugged into anything on the bike. Thus my Bluetooth connection is never lost.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

I went with a Packtalk Edge to pair with my Zumo XT. Love the dynamic mesh connection, love the mount, Love the fact that it utilizes a 3.5 mm connection for audio, no matter if you install the included JBL Helment Speakers, or if you choose to use wired 3.5mm earbuds, of in my case, custom molded in-ear monitors (think professional musician).

The latest firmware upgrade added the ability to pair with Sena's mesh products as well.

User interface is great, app provides lots of customization for individual preferences, and the battery lasts all day.

Very happy with my decision to purchase the Cardo Packtalk Edge!
twowheelstom
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

rbentnail wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:31 pm I did not mount it. I drop it in a shirt or jacket pocket. But it can be easily velcroed somewhere depending on how much you tolerate the wire blowing around.
Oh I see, you can put the bluetooth receiver into your jacket pocket and connect your earbuds cord to the receiver in your jacket. I am learning more about this, thanks. Then there's no need to run a long 3.5mm extension cord from the left-side panel to under the gas tank then up to to the receiver sitting next to the XT, (I will forget that idea not needed now). Thanks for all this new info, as you can see I'm quite a newbie at this. lol Next I need to learn the differences between a bluetooth receiver -vs- a receiver/transmitter. If I later decide to incorporate my samsung smartphone into the mix, will the adapter need to be a transmitter also, or do I just need the receiver.
ps. you are a great help for me learning new stuff. thx
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

TripleThreat719 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:23 pm I went with a Packtalk Edge to pair with my Zumo XT. Love the dynamic mesh connection, love the mount, Love the fact that it utilizes a 3.5 mm connection for audio, no matter if you install the included JBL Helment Speakers, or if you choose to use wired 3.5mm earbuds, of in my case, custom molded in-ear monitors (think professional musician).

The latest firmware upgrade added the ability to pair with Sena's mesh products as well.

User interface is great, app provides lots of customization for individual preferences, and the battery lasts all day.

Very happy with my decision to purchase the Cardo Packtalk Edge!
Like the OP, I typically ride alone and always solo so no need whatsoever for any type of comm system. I have no idea what "dynamic mesh connection" is and probably don't need to. No speakers for me, tried and hated them. I'm still of the opinion if I need all that crap I'll drive my pickup.

And like the OP, I searched for a simple, cheap and noninvasive Bluetooth way to hear turn instructions when I want. Hard to beat the $24usd I spent and am wonderfully satisfied with.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

twowheelstom wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:28 pm Oh I see, you can put the bluetooth receiver into your jacket pocket and connect your earbuds cord to the receiver in your jacket. I am learning more about this, thanks. Then there's no need to run a long 3.5mm extension cord from the left-side panel to under the gas tank then up to to the receiver sitting next to the XT, (I will forget that idea not needed now). Thanks for all this new info, as you can see I'm quite a newbie at this. lol Next I need to learn the differences between a bluetooth receiver -vs- a receiver/transmitter. If I later decide to incorporate my samsung smartphone into the mix, will the adapter need to be a transmitter also, or do I just need the receiver.
ps. you are a great help for me learning new stuff. thx
First part- correct. Bluetooth adapter in pocket. Only corded thing is your earbuds to adapter.

Second part- I have no knowledge whatsoever of Bluetooth transmitters. I have no need for one. I refuse to talk on the phone while riding. I pair my Android phone with the XT and the XT pops up a message if someone texts or calls. I'm perfectly fine ignoring it for a while until I stop.

I understand about the newbie part. I only figured out this solution with help from others in the spring of 2022. Glad to help!

viewtopic.php?t=1660&hilit=bluetooth
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

twowheelstom wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:28 pm If I later decide to incorporate my samsung smartphone into the mix, will the adapter need to be a transmitter also, or do I just need the receiver.
Just a receiver. As @rbentnail mentioned, you can connect your phone to the XT which can then display incoming call info and texts. If thinking about music, I recommend using the media player in the XT rather than trying to stream it from your phone.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

Oh I see now, you bluetooth pair the Zumo to the portable receiver (for earbuds), then pair the Phone to the Zumo, but don't pair the Phone to the receiver, this way any phone calls will be alerted on the Zumo screen. It's becoming clearer now for me, thanks 8-)
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

twowheelstom wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:28 pm Oh I see now, you bluetooth pair the Zumo to the portable receiver (for earbuds), then pair the Phone to the Zumo, but don't pair the Phone to the receiver, this way any phone calls will be alerted on the Zumo screen. It's becoming clearer now for me, thanks 8-)
Exactly!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

rbentnail wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:31 pm
twowheelstom wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:39 pm I love my wired earbuds because I don't see any room on my half helmet to clip a bluetooth headset, and this bluetooth receiver looks like the solution. I do want to get the XT. Where did you place/locate the bluetooth receiver on your bike? Can it be velcored somewhere on the bike?
I did not mount it. I drop it in a shirt or jacket pocket. But it can be easily velcroed somewhere depending on how much you tolerate the wire blowing around.

My gps power is never interrupted when starting the bike and my Bluetooth adapter is rechargeable battery powered and is never plugged into anything on the bike. Thus my Bluetooth connection is never lost.
For your bluetooth adapter, do you also have an attached usb power bank to it to make the adapters battery last longer?
I got my receiver but wondering if the small battery in the adapter is enough to play music from the zumo on a long ride.