Zumo XT Route Organization Question...

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
BradB.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo XT Route Organization Question...

Post by BradB. »

So I did play with a few settings and different scenarios for following tracks. Sorry I couldn't figure out the screen shots as it was too much to do whilst moving.

I found the 'distance to finish' tab. I had been running a 'compass' tab in its place so it was hidden. Too bad we can't have more of these selections viewable at once.

The track didn't show me the right way around a roundabout (yes we have a few here, too) or the correct side of a highway in 'start to finish' or 'finish to start'.

The top banner information, my primary complaint, was very inconsistent in how it presented labels. When starting some distance from the track, the banner said 'Drive to End' and the pink dotted line indicated the direction. The 'Off Course' tab worked here when selected.

After the selection of the track the top banner would always say 'Calculating xx%'. I get that.

When starting actually ON the intended track, the top banner read "Driving on Melrose Rd' (the chosen street). This is actually the first time I've experienced the top banner stating 'Driving on'. The bottom banner, which has always been accurate, also stated we were on 'Melrose Rd.

When starting a new track, but not ON the track yet, the top banner would say 'Melrose Rd ahead". But then would not change road names as I passed several intersections. It was just stuck on the first thing it identified. But contrary to this, a couple times it said 'Ready to Navigate' first then 'Melrose Rd ahead'. There was no pattern as to why it chose one over the other.

Basically I saw nothing wrong with any of the above banner alerts, it's just that the road listing refuses to change after getting stuck on it's first road. Mind you, it USED to work, I swear!

You might ask why I want the 'Road ahead' listing if I am just following a static line anyway. Well, the scale of the map can often hide the exact street to turn on if several streets are close together. It's often a visual thing between the pink line and the street line and on a bike you only get a glance before things pass you by. Also, the GPS has a way of occasionally lagging and sometimes you find yourself passing the street just as the map catches up. A banner with the 'Road ahead' is helpful here, too.

So, no joy here as I haven't really made any progress toward a result. But I am at least coming to terms with the some of the logic (or lack of) with the XT.

Housekeeping note: I checked and my XT software is up to date. I will do a map update tonight. I also removed and reinstalled the Garmin Drive App just to start clean.
Somebody help me....I'm lost! :o
BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

jfheath wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:00 am
The images are created as .png files (Portable Network Graphic). They are placed as a numbered file in internal storage on the Zumo in a folder called 'ScreenShot'. Goodness knows what the file number means - I've never tried to work it out. The date stamp gives you a clue as to how recently it was taken.

Generally, you cannot view them while they are still in the Zumo. Most graphic programs try to open the pictures to edit them, and on a device that uses MTP - Media Transfer Protocol - opening a file to edit it is not allowed. The XT uses MTP. Picture Viewers - eg Microsofts Photo - may be able to view them. I just transfer them to a temporary file on my PC. Usually I reduce them 50% if I intend to print. 33% is Ok for display on a screen, or 25% if you just want an impression. I use a very early version of PaintShop Pro to do this. I have better graphics programs, but PSP loads fast and is usually more convenient.
One more question, on the screenshots. After I take them, how do I FIND them on the XT? Is it something I need to access via a cable? I'll try this and see if I get anywhere.
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

BradB. wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:08 pm

One more question, on the screenshots. After I take them, how do I FIND them on the XT? Is it something I need to access via a cable? I'll try this and see if I get anywhere.
Yes - sorry, I assumed ......

Connect the USB cable. Wait. There will be a 25 second countdown to make sure that you want to connect (rather than simpy power the XT), which you can opt to continue witht he USB conenction on the XT screen. Then wait some more until the computer connects. If you are using a PC, you will be able to see the Zumo in File Explorer. It will appear as Zumo XT along with the disk drive(s)

If you have a Mac, then there will be something very similar, but never having owned one, I cannot help. See the computer screenshots below showing the sequence:

USB1.png
USB1.png (38.84 KiB) Viewed 339 times
-------------------
USB2.png
USB2.png (47 KiB) Viewed 339 times
-----------------------
USB3.png
USB3.png (31.55 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

jfheath wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:36 pm

Yes - sorry, I assumed ......
Pffft! Strategic error! I have a mechanical skillset. Want me to restore your classic Jag? Rebuild your motorcycle? Fix your furnace? I'm your guy! Got something computer related...duhhhhhhhh?