Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
BradB.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: The "NEXT STREET" listing at top doesn't work

Post by BradB. »

jfheath wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:42 am
So the question is, does the XT normally show things that are coming up ahead when you have no route active ?

I thought that I had seen this, but I am not sure. Does it show the road name or the speed limits for the road that you are on ?
I have a feeling that this information is stored as part if the route. But again, I have not been observant enough.

It may show speed camera locations as these are proximity alerts like POIs. You can plot points that have a 'perimeter fence' around them. as soon as you pass through the fence, you get an alert, or an mp3 recording is played. They work whether or not a route is loaded.
Yes, the XT will show the "next street" even if you have no route active. And it should do this during an active route as well. In my case, while riding and following the track it will show the next street, but it's "stuck" on a street passed somewhere at the beginning of the ride. If I close the track and start it up again it will update itself and indicate the correct next street, until I start riding and then it doesn't change any more.

In contrast, the "street your driving on" listing at the bottom of the XT screen, has always worked fine.

Yes, I get speed limit signs while using my tracks.

I have never use POI alerts as you describe so I can't comment on that.
Somebody help me....I'm lost! :o
BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

electro_handyman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:16 am So I'll mumble as well on this, have you tried different zoom levels?
Just a thought.
Yes, I have done this on occasion and I don't believe it helped anything. I'll make a point to try this again and watch closely.
BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

FrankB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:37 pm
jfheath wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:42 am So the question is, does the XT normally show things that are coming up ahead when you have no route active ?
From my experience, when there is no route active, it only shows the direction like 'Driving North/South/East/West on xxxxx'
My XT definitely lists the next road ahead in the top banner while just riding with no route/track active. It's a constant informational listing.
BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

Peobody wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:17 pm I understand what the OP is saying. Following a route only adds information about the next turn in the route. The OP is talking about the display of the street name of the upcoming intersecting street. I don't think I have ever noticed this on my XT but I see it on the map in my wife's Toyota. It does not show every upcoming steet though. I have not paid enough attention to it to try to determine the characteristics of the ones displayed vs. not. If my bike weren't in the shop I would go take it for a ride just to see what the top banner displays.

@electro_handyman mentioned zoom level which was also my first thought. My only other thought is the map detail level. Make sure it is not set on Low. I have mine set at More. I found that Normal left out enough side streets that I couldn't rely on looking at the map and counting the number of them to the one I wanted to turn on (eg: looking at the map and seeing 3rd right when it was actually the 4th because a short alley was not displayed).
Exactly. It's just an informational listing in the banner at the top.

I did play with different zooms. It's didn't seem to make a difference.

I have the XT set on the highest detail, "More".
BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

jfheath wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:28 pm I thought that I had seen it mention something that I was approaching a few times - but these occasions are few and far between - I only very rarely use just a track. It certainly says some thing if you load a track and select Go! But then you get a magenta line and it knows where you are heading.
Two example here app.php/ZXT-P48
I looked at the link you highlighted and my XT looks and acts exactly as illustrated. But the "street ahead" doesn't work properly, or constantly. I took another ride just now and the "street ahead" works for the very first street on the ride then it just sort of sticks. It doesn't change for a long time. Then, further along the ride it will find a street and indicate that in the banner. It acts in this random way throughout the ride.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

BradB. wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:56 pm
FrankB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:37 pm From my experience, when there is no route active, it only shows the direction like 'Driving North/South/East/West on xxxxx'
My XT definitely lists the next road ahead in the top banner while just riding with no route/track active. It's a constant informational listing.
I think we have a misunderstanding. Likely my fault.
Let me explain. Suppose you're driving on a HighWay, for example A50. You're approaching exit 13. Without a route active (no destination known) how would the XT know that you will be taking that Exit, or just continuing on the Highway?
I've just verified, by using the indoor GPS simulator, that if you have a destination active, and that destination requires you to take exit 13, then you will see in the bottom bar 'A50' and on the top bar a prompt to take the 'Exit'.
BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

FrankB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:02 pm
BradB. wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:56 pm
FrankB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:37 pm From my experience, when there is no route active, it only shows the direction like 'Driving North/South/East/West on xxxxx'
I think we have a misunderstanding. Likely my fault.
Let me explain. Suppose you're driving on a HighWay, for example A50. You're approaching exit 13. Without a route active (no destination known) how would the XT know that you will be taking that Exit, or just continuing on the Highway?
I've just verified, by using the indoor GPS simulator, that if you have a destination active, and that destination requires you to take exit 13, then you will see in the bottom bar 'A50' and on the top bar a prompt to take the 'Exit'.
I know what you are saying. I completely agree with your example. But while navigating my track I do still get the next street ahead listed in the top banner. It's just a notification, not a direction. It has nothing to do with my track. I only use tracks (not routes) and don't receive any directions. I just get the "next road ahead" in the top banner and the "current road traveling on" at the bottom.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Will have a look next time I take the VFR for a ride.
BradB
United States of America

Post by BradB »

FrankB wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:58 am Will have a look next time I take the VFR for a ride.
VFR? Nice! I’m jealous!
BMW R1250GS - Zumo XT / Cardo / iPhone.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

You ride a BMW R1250GS and are jealous on a VFR?
(It is a VFR1200F! Not a VFR800)