Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

XT reset options?

Post by Peobody »

On the XT, there is a "Reset" option under Settings > Device. There is also a "Clear all user data" option under the hidden menu accessed by Volume > long hold on upper right corner. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Re: XT reset options?

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:27 pm On the XT, there is a "Reset" option under Settings > Device. There is also a "Clear all user data" option under the hidden menu accessed by Volume > long hold on upper right corner. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two?
If you are brave enough to select the 'Reset' option that you mention, then it opens up a new submenu

Clear Travel History
Reset Default Settings
Delete Data and Reset Settings

I assume that Default settings doesn't delete anything - just resets the all of the menus to original, along with all selectable options / beeps / warnings. But I've never had the need to use that.

Whether or not there is a difference between the last option and other options that perform a full system reset that returns everything to when you first received it - I don't know.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
danham
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

On some older Garmin units, the option to clear all user data was the only way to delete a corrupted satellite almanac, which could prevent the GPS from getting lock. Doing this was a good way to prove that these units "learn" your driving habits (what speed you ride on what roads), because ETAs would revert to default estimates.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The "clear all user data" is what is throwing me. I consider "user data" to be only what we, the "user" has added to the device and not what the device has generated on its own. Do I need to adjust my thinking to "user data" meaning all data added or produced since the device started being used?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Peobody wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:49 pm The "clear all user data" is what is throwing me. I consider "user data" to be only what we, the "user" has added to the device and not what the device has generated on its own. Do I need to adjust my thinking to "user data" meaning all data added or produced since the device started being used?
I agree with you about what this SHOULD mean, but behavior of past GPS units suggests Garmin thinks otherwise. I think they mean anything unique to the user, regardless of who created it.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've just tried the same thing on my 595 - I don't want to do it to my XT as I am monitoring what happens with track logs.

The 595 reset all settings and preferences eg display; mile/km; announcements; optional choices fatigue time/ restricted mode; modified menu positions all reset.

temp.gpx remained intact - ie Transferred routes from Basecamp
Current.gpx remained intact - ie routes imported into the Zumo
CurrentTrackLog was wiped. I assume archive would be too.
Maps remained the same
Theme was reset but my own theme is still present.
I suspect Music files would be OK.
Anything on the SD card is untouched.
Favourites (Saved) remained intact.

It's very close to being a complete reset with one or two things retained. You certainly have to go through your settings and reinstate them, and rearrnage manu items as you like them.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.