Wacko traffic auto-recalc routing

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Snave1000
Wales

Re: Wacko traffic auto-recalc routing

Post by Snave1000 »

I’ve also had mad zig zag recalculation , but what gets me as much as that is no option to chose wether it recalls with traffic or not. Two years ago I remember it used to give an option and it then only recalculated around closure and not reroute remainder of route. Frustrating
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@Snave1000
Rofor wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:32 pm
Peobody wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:14 pm One thing I don't understand is why in some instances you will be offered one or more options to get around a traffic issue and in others the XT just re-routes. Perhaps it is traffic delays the produce options vs. road closure the triggers a re-route. The only reason I noticed this re-route was because two hours were added to my arrival time. I would have not otherwise know about it until I was into it.
That's an easy one to explain (am i correct in thinking that you also, just like me, drive without spoken announcements?):
  • 'normal' traffic disruption (like a construction site or so) - Zumo XT will make a re-routing and informs(!) the user of the disruption and ask's(!) visually, if he should use the new route...
  • 'full closure' of a road used by the active route - there is an automatic, not interrupt-able re-routing with no(!) visually but only a spoken announcement of the re-routing - this re-routing can't be interrupted, when 'Traffic information' is enabled!
Garmin names that 'a feature, not a bug', for safety(?) reasons - even when many of us told them, that sometimes the traffic information simple could be false, late or not relevant for motorcycles!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I just received an email response from Garmin cartography. I was thanked for submitting this issue and told that it would be escalated to engineering. The optimist in me will take that as an indication that they have not given up on the XT.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Oop North John
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Peobody wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:04 pm I just received an email response from Garmin cartography. I was thanked for submitting this issue and told that it would be escalated to engineering. The optimist in me will take that as an indication that they have not given up on the XT.
And the pessimist looks at what 6.60 did for the XT :(
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Oop North John wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:42 pm And the pessimist looks at what 6.60 did for the XT :(
The pessimist in me says they're blowing smoke. I don't see how the info I submitted could be of much use to engineers. I'll certainly let you know if they reach out for more.

AFAIK, 6.60 did not fix anything. I didn't break anything either though right? I am holding off installing it until I return from my next trip.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 628 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:04 pm The optimist in me will take that as an indication that they have not given up on the XT.
There is good reason to be optimistic. There are a fair few of us that have got enough experience with using the XT to be able to separate the genuine 'issues' from the ones caused by using mismatched maps; inaccurately placed Via points; using routes with shaping points stripped out; failing to pass through go; failing to collect £200. (Oh - sorry, getting carried away with word association).

The XT2 seems to have its own problems and there will be relatively few people who have really nailed down what the problems are. But if experience with how the 590 developed into the 595 and the 595 into the XT - they did make improvements at each stage, but they also transferred some earlier issues to the later Zumos.

I'd be sorting out the issues in the XT, with known information and then transfer it to the XT2. Maybe they think that it is better to sort the XT2 first.

I still do not know if the XT2 demonstrates the RUT behaviour - but if it doesn't, what did they do to fix it ?
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Snave1000
Wales

Post by Snave1000 »

I’ve had several garmins over many years, it seems to me that part of the issue is they’re constantly changing the software instead of developing it, things that worked previously perfectly well no longer work or work well, re routing being one, last weekend for example my mates 595lm showed a turning in 100yds where my xt just showed it as way of the road goes and further on in route vise versa, this is just two examples of the next generation garmin not improving . Yes the screen and interface is so much better in my opinion but the firmware/software/ mapping has not. The first garmin I had was a street pilot and although it was slow and a lot older technology it had less issues that the ones that followed. Of course this is only how I’ve found it other people may/will disagree and or say it’s down to user error.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 628 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Snave1000 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:47 am I’ve had several garmins over many years, it seems to me that part of the issue is they’re constantly changing the software instead of developing it, things that worked previously perfectly well no longer work or work well, re routing being one, last weekend for example my mates 595lm showed a turning in 100yds where my xt just showed it as way of the road goes and further on in route vise versa, this is just two examples of the next generation garmin not improving . Yes the screen and interface is so much better in my opinion but the firmware/software/ mapping has not. The first garmin I had was a street pilot and although it was slow and a lot older technology it had less issues that the ones that followed. Of course this is only how I’ve found it other people may/will disagree and or say it’s down to user error.
No arguments from me about any of that @Snave1000. The 590 was pretty rock solid in navigating - athough it caused me a lot of headaches when I first switched out my 660. The 595 improved a lot of things, but it also introduced some issues that have been carried forward to the XT. But it is still more predictable in what it will do on the road, and I trust it more than the XT - when left to its own devices. Having said that, I'm pretty much on top of how to prevent the XT screwing up my ride now.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.