For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Planned routes (again)

Post by tojjer »

Hi all,

I have been planning routes for my Zumo 346 using all manner of things to try and find something that actually does what I want it to do.

So far I have used Basecamp, MyRouteApp, Tyre, GPX Generator and even the trip planner on the unit itself.

The problem I am getting, is when I am following a pre planned route, and for whatever reason ( road closure ? ) leave that route, the Garmin does not reroute me back to the planned route. I have tried the skip next destination/waypoint button under the change route icon, but some times it doesn't give me this choice.
I have aslo tried the detour/detour via distance/detour via road choices. Nearly every time, all of those just send me straight to the end destination again.
I had a 3 day trip to Wales recently and we came across a road closure which took us way off our route. We had to stop and use a map to see how to get back to our route and the places we wanted to go via.

Basecamp seems to give me a better choice of the "skip next waypoint/viapoint/destination", although it does try to send me back on the route to hit one that I obviously didn't tell it to miss
MRA seems to be the best at carrying on once I do actually rejoin the planned route, but again will send me back at times

Have any of you found the same problems, and if so, how do you/did you rectify it when you leave a planned route?
Cheers
Last edited by tojjer on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: Planned routes

Post by Stu »

I have found that if you use any program other than basecamp then the results can be a bit random!

I have also found that if you only have a couple of shaping points/waypoints then when you skip one the routing to the next can be totally different

What I tend to do is add a fair few shaping points so if I do skip one or two then I don't get routed totally different

I use a zumo 590 with automatic calculation set to on
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: Planned routes (again)

Post by tojjer »

Thanks Stu. That's interesting you have the recalculate set to ON. Mine just automatically routes me to the end destination with that on.
I will try it again with a lot more shaping points, although I thought I had plenty on the roads I particularly wanted to ride on.

Cheers
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Stu wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:30 pm I have found that if you use any program other than basecamp then the results can be a bit random!

I have also found that if you only have a couple of shaping points/waypoints then when you skip one the routing to the next can be totally different

What I tend to do is add a fair few shaping points so if I do skip one or two then I don't get routed totally different

If I understand you here Stu--if you have Auto re-calculation ON, the Zumo will return to the original beyond the point where you've gone off-route and the Zumo will re-route to hit the remaining shaping points?
Would that be correct for the Z660 as well?
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

kernowing wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:26 am
Stu wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:30 pm I have found that if you use any program other than basecamp then the results can be a bit random!

If I understand you here Stu--if you have Auto re-calculation ON, the Zumo will return to the original beyond the point where you've gone off-route and the Zumo will re-route to hit the remaining shaping points?
Would that be correct for the Z660 as well?
Yes thats how it seems to work on mine although I'm not sure how it would work on the 660 I suppose there is only one way to find out and plan a route on roads you know and see if it does as expected with rerouting on and skipping a waypoint/shaping point

I must say though it does reroute to the next shaping/waypoint and this can be different from the intended route depending on how far off route you go