Maps not showing on device after copying to SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Maps not showing on device after copying to SD card

Post by sussamb »

One other thing. All devices are limited to the number of map tiles installed. You don't also have any other maps installed do you?
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Advnzer, I think your instructions are referencing use on a PC and I do believe that Whistler is working with a MAC.

Whistler, you do have the gmapbmap.img file in the Garmin folder on the internal zumo storage?
IIRC, the base map files are needed on internal storage and then the gmapsupp.img file can be located on the SD card.

As an experiment, you could connect the zumo to the computer-- no sd card -- then using your map installer, install only 1 map segment, say your home state. The purpose would be to make sure all needed base files are put on the zumo, and, to determine if you may have an internal firmware issue or not.
whistler
United States of America

Post by whistler »

sussamb wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:47 am One other thing. All devices are limited to the number of map tiles installed. You don't also have any other maps installed do you?
No other maps installed, sussamb. The two 2019 map files (the .gma and .img files) are all that's on the SD card in the "Garmin" folder. No maps installed on the 550 itself.
Last edited by whistler on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whistler
United States of America

Post by whistler »

electro_handyman wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:05 am Advnzer, I think your instructions are referencing use on a PC and I do believe that Whistler is working with a MAC.

Whistler, you do have the gmapbmap.img file in the Garmin folder on the internal zumo storage?
IIRC, the base map files are needed on internal storage and then the gmapsupp.img file can be located on the SD card.

As an experiment, you could connect the zumo to the computer-- no sd card -- then using your map installer, install only 1 map segment, say your home state. The purpose would be to make sure all needed base files are put on the zumo, and, to determine if you may have an internal firmware issue or not.
Will check if gmapbmap.img is on internal storage, Handyman. Will also try the experiment you suggest. Will post what I learn later this evening. Thanks for the info.
whistler
United States of America

Post by whistler »

Well, here goes...

1. MapInstall 4.1.1 loaded the state of Maryland directly to the 550 with no issues. Had full functionality and features. The "Map Info" button displayed the 2019 file info for Maryland, just like normal. Don't think bad firmware is an issue. Things looked promising.
2. Inserted the SD card with the 2019 map files into the 550. Turned it on. The 550 still saw the Maryland map in its memory, but no SD maps.
3. I removed the Maryland map from the 550's memory and reinserted the SD card with the 2019 maps.
4. Powered up the 550...and nothing. The 550 is not seeing any maps on the SD card. Then I thought maybe it was somehow a bad SD card, so I used another one (FAT32-formatted) and containing the 2019 maps.
5. Again...nothing. The 550 didn't see that SD card or its map files either.
6. The 550 didn't have the gmapbmap.img file it its memory. Don't know how or why. I have to assume it wasn't there last year either; I had the 2018 maps loaded on the SD card at that time, as well. Anyway, I retrieved an older gmapbmap.img file (2013) from an archived backup and installed that into the 550. Then I loaded the SD card w/2019 maps and turned on the 550. That worked . . . kind of.
7. During bootup, the "Loading Maps" message showed for about 1 second and then disappeared. After bootup, I selected "View Map" and saw that the screen showed larger roadways, but not detailed city and neighborhood streets, etc. regardless of how I zoomed in or out. It was like the rendering wasn't complete and didn't include ALL the map data that should have been displayed.
8. The "Map Info" button within "Settings" was grayed out, even though I saw piecemeal map renderings on the screen. Very strange...
9. Right now, the only thing I haven't done is remove MapInstall 4.1.1 and download 4.0.xxxx. I'll try that next.

The fight continues...
whistler
United States of America

Post by whistler »

Problem solved!!

Advnzer - you nailed it. I uninstalled MapInstall 4.1.1, then found, downloaded and installed MapInstall 4.0.0. Installed the 2019 US maps to the original 16gb SD card I started this exercise with, and plugged it into the 550. Powered it up, and IT'S ALL GOOD. Everything. The "Map Info" button shows the correct map version, the "View Map" is back to normal . . . everything! If I wasn't so damned old, I'd do a freakin' cartwheel right now!

Handyman - totally on a lark, I removed the gmapbmap.img file from the 550's memory prior to installing 1 test map segment after I downgraded MapInstall. Doing so had no ill effect on the map install or function; everything functioned perfectly, after which I downloaded the whole 2019 US map package. Have no idea why that .img file's absence didn't affect anything. Guess it doesn't really matter at this point, but it does seem odd.

I didn't get away scot-free, though. For some reason (and maybe it's a version issue), Garmin Express opens when I connect the 550 to my Macbook, but doesn't show the 550 or "Add Another Device" like I've seen at all previous times before this whole debacle. It probably needs to be upgraded to a newer version (at least I HOPE it's that simple). For now, I'm tickled pink that my 550 is back in service!

Thank you all very much for your time, suggestions and patience! I owe you all BIG-TIME!
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Glad you got it all worked out.

Now, when the next map update comes out :)
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Glad it's sorted. As we said at the beginning there is an issue with the latest versions of BC and MapInstall :)
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

I just dont think it needs to be so comp;ex,but what do i know.I do wish they credited us with a bit of interest in what we do.My older nuvi 2350 is a much more customizeable unit than my newer 2797.
whistler
United States of America

Post by whistler »

Couldn't agree more. One would think Garmin's engineers would appreciate leaving well-enough alone. But, like Advnzr, what do I know?

A shame we end-users get stuck with cobbling together solutions to issues that should come directly from the manufacturer; they have the time, money and resources, for crying out loud. The way of the world, I suppose.

Very glad this place is a last bastion of practical knowledge and tech advice.