Zumo 396 music ability

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Sleuth
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Belgium

Re: Zumo 396 music ability

Post by Sleuth »

Edit to the apology (now deleted!) Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but now better later than never. :)

The file structure that worked on the Zumo 660 (and appers to work on the 396 / 595 is as follows:
When I use "---" this indicates a subfolder. A sub-sub folder will be ---/---

Garmin
---GPX
---userdata
JPEG
Music
userdata

No files are required, the music is filled in under the Music folder.

I know this still works because I am currently listening to music on the SD card, without any issue. (OK if I connect the phone then I do not hear music but that is another story!)
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT, BMW Navigator IV
Maps: Europe NTU 2024.10
Software: Basecamp (4.7.4) & Mapsource (6.16.3)
Computer: PC (Windows 11 Home)
Motorcycle: BMW R1200GSA (2020)
Twisties
United States of America

Post by Twisties »

I renamed the mp3 folder on the micro sd card to music... music is still not found.
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

Twisties wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:54 pm I renamed the mp3 folder on the micro sd card to music... music is still not found.
I beleive you have to have exactly the same folder hierachy as noted above on the sd card
Sleuth
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Belgium

Post by Sleuth »

One of things that I disliked about the 396, is that it is difficult to get the sd card mounted properly.

Just before the sd card holder came away from the mounting, which gave me the reason to switch to the 595, it became very tricky to get it to register the music that was installed (and working properly before it was taken out for music replacement.
The one thing that was fantastic about it was the Bluetooth integration between phone - GPS - headset. It worked, and worked well.
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT, BMW Navigator IV
Maps: Europe NTU 2024.10
Software: Basecamp (4.7.4) & Mapsource (6.16.3)
Computer: PC (Windows 11 Home)
Motorcycle: BMW R1200GSA (2020)
Twisties
United States of America

Post by Twisties »

advnzer wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 am
Twisties wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:54 pm I renamed the mp3 folder on the micro sd card to music... music is still not found.
I beleive you have to have exactly the same folder hierachy as noted above on the sd card
Ok, that worked. Thanks. Crazy, right there.

My file structure on the sd card has one extra subfolder, since it was there already, but now it works.

Garmin
---GPX
---userdata
...SQL
Music
JPEG
userdata

I haven't had any trouble mounting the sd card or getting the Zumo to recognize it's there. It always shows up on the file browser when connected to pc.
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I too have had no problem mounting a sdcard to the 346. It mounted first time, and was recognised first time. All I did was transfer a folder full of mp3's to the sdcard as a new folder called "music", and they all play perfectly. If I don't have the zumo connected to anything else, it plays through its own speaker perfectly
dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

I'll bet if you change sd:Music back to SD:mp3 it will continue to play them. My Zumo 665 has a different file structure. It may come down to having too many files at the root level of your SD card. Limit on the Z665 is possibly 500 root level folder names and file names combined. My Z665 appears to scan the device and SD memory for all *.mp3 files to build each song title, album, artist, etc. index for the Media Player. {I copied mp3 folder "God s Problem Child" (great Willie Nelson riding album) to the root level of my Z665 and Media Player found it. Deleted that folder and those song's were not found by Media Player.)

I'd lean more toward you having a bad mp3 file that causes that index building program to abort, showing no music to Media Player. Google mp3val and run it on all mp3's on your SD card AND any on your device. Repair, remove or rename the flagged mp3 files appending .ng to each name until you have them sorted out.

Try running without the SD card with one or two mp3 files in a folder on your device, I'd test with the music in the gpx folder to prove names don't matter for the most part.