No instructions with iimported track

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Tilbo

No instructions with iimported track

Post by Tilbo »

I have a strange problem with my XT. For my Black Forest tour last week, I created routes on the Kurivger-site and exported them to GPX (track). I downloaded them to my iPhone and sent them to my XT with the Drive app. On my XT, I go to 'Tracks', I select the track and I convert them to trip (start to finish). When I start the trip, I start the trip with the app 'Trip planner' and select the next destination (begin of closest entry point), depending on my current position.

The problem is that I do get very limited instructions. I do not get any instructions to turn right or left when I am at a crossing; the only instruction on screen is to turn right at a roundabout in 20 kilometers. But there are not any instructions for crossings before the roundabout, although I have to turn right and left leaving streets for more than 20 times. So when approaching a crossing at which I should turn left, I do not get any instruction.

The route/trip is correctly displayed on the screens, but not getting any turn-instructions on screen or on my head set is not what it should be and I have to look on the screen, which can be dangerous. I rebooted the XT several times, re-imported and re-converted the tracks to trips but nothing helps. When starting a trip on the XT itself (so no track import), the instructions work fine.

Does anybody can help me (and there are other XT-users with the same problem I heard) on this?

XT: software version 6.50
Map theme: Michelin
Maps active: CN Europe NT 2024.10 ALL North/South, all topo active PS maps, Europe DEM, CN Europe NTU 2024.10 Foursquare/Parkopedia
Navigation settings: faster time, off-route recalculation off, avoid car-share lanes and unpaved roads.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: No instructions with iimported track

Post by simoncrewe »

I am by no means an expert, but my understanding is that a 'track' is just a line / breadcrumb trail displayed on the unit, you do not get instructions, you basically just follow the line.
A route however, will give you spoken instructions. Have you tried converting your track to a route on your gps unit?
Tilbo

Post by Tilbo »

@simoncrewe Thanks for your answer, but as I wrote: " select the track and I convert them to trip (start to finish)." So yes, I converted the tracks to trips.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

One final thought, have you got OSM maps (open Street Maps) on the unit & enabled?
I had them on my unit & lost the voice prompts, once I disabled them everything returned to normal.
Tilbo

Post by Tilbo »

No, the only active maps are the NTU maps. I have the OnRoute motorcycle map but they are disabled.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 626 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I don't know if it affects trips, but check

Volume mixer for navigation?
Bit of grease on the screen over the mute button ? Don't laugh, I have had my XT flicking around the same three pages repeatedly without any input from me. It started doing this after I had just eaten some fish and chips and touched the screen before wiping my hands and putting my gloves on.

Have you disabled automatic recalculate - it usually goes quiet if you go off route. I don't know about 'tracktrips'.
For routes, the satnav only gives instructions of there is a white arrow on the map pointing the way. There is usually a text message as well.

I have used track trips to see what they do, but I cannot remember precisely how they behave - but at the time I wrote this
When riding, navigational instructions are issued, messages are displayed on the top of the screen and turns ahead are marked with the white arrows on the magenta route.
That page is here. It might ring a bell with something that you have seen.
https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/app.php/ZXT-P53

@simoncrewe - you may want to take a look at the whole chapter - it describes 6 different ways that you can use the XT to navigate.

nb - Never use a 'TrackTrip' that crosses itself or is a long thin oval circuit. - Reason - if you go off course it finds the closest point ont he route to your position - and that may be on the wrong part of the track.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 626 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'll add to the above, 'cos I have just noticed that your setting have auto recalculate turned off.

When navigating a route, if autorecalc is off and you deviate from the plotted route, it stop issuing instruction until you rejoin the route.

I don't know what happens with the track converted to a trip - a TrackTrip - but in some circumstances odd things can happen. Understandable, but unexpected.

Whatever. It is worth trying - turn auto recalc on, see if the instructions resume.

Let us know the answer please, co it is something that I have never checked!
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.