For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: 660 LM appears to have died

Post by rbentnail »

jeff in ferndale wa wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:31 pm
advnzer wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:31 am i hope you did a backup of the zumo before you sent it away
It was completely dead, so could not backup anything. I did have some things on an SD card(can't recall what exactly) and have all my waypoints saved on my computer.I did remove the sd card before sending away.
Good deal, sounds like you won't lose anything then.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

a cool feature of basecamp then.Use basecamp regu;arly to organise your data and you can make regular backups.You never know when you will need them!
jeff in ferndale wa
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by jeff in ferndale wa »

advnzer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:50 pm a cool feature of basecamp then.Use basecamp regu;arly to organise your data and you can make regular backups.You never know when you will need them!
That I have done. I'm still trying to learn how to do everything else!
Jeff in Ferndale WA
White 2004 GL1800
Zumo 660LM
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

Yes it was only the last determined effort to creat some routes around some given waypoints that i made any headway with basecamp.It co incided with an operation on my hand so i had plenty of time to play around with it,and in doing so i think i have managed to come to grips with basecamp.I only have a couple of Nuvis,i have never felt the need for a gps on the bike,but NZ is a very different kettle of fish to the US or Europe.My riding is purely "fun"Of course the route from basecamp was transnsformed after my nuvi recalculated it.
So now my question is ,what device do i get for the bike...thats another thread though!
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

advnzer wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:36 am Yes it was only the last determined effort to creat some routes around some given waypoints that i made any headway with basecamp.It co incided with an operation on my hand so i had plenty of time to play around with it,and in doing so i think i have managed to come to grips with basecamp.I only have a couple of Nuvis,i have never felt the need for a gps on the bike,but NZ is a very different kettle of fish to the US or Europe.My riding is purely "fun"Of course the route from basecamp was transnsformed after my nuvi recalculated it.
So now my question is ,what device do i get for the bike...thats another thread though!
If you can find the mount stuff and a power cable, I used a nuvi 780 on my bike for 8+yrs. It works fine. Just put it in a zip lock sandwich bag if it rains.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Putting a GPS in a baggie will indeed protect it from all but a tsunami. I did it for a while using my nuvi 760. But two things to consider: inside a baggie or even an aftermarket waterproof case, the GPS will heat up and fog the bag or case so much that you can't read the screen. Also, not all car GPS models will talk to a Bluetooth helmet setup, so you may have to use a clunky wired earphone or do without spoken directions. So on a cool, rainy day, that leaves you with no visual map and no spoken guidance.

All of this finally prompted me to get a zumo 660 and I've been very happy with it for a number of years and many thousands of miles.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
jeff in ferndale wa
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by jeff in ferndale wa »

I received my 660 back in the mail today and it works normally.

I am very happy with the service I received from Chris at PalmDr
http://www.palmdr.com/cart/garmin-zumo- ... p-337.html

Thanks to all for your replies.
Jeff in Ferndale WA
White 2004 GL1800
Zumo 660LM