Can’t hear phone ring

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
wjbertrand
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Can’t hear phone ring

Post by wjbertrand »

I have my iPhone 13, paired to the XT and a Cardo Packtalk also paired to the XT. The Cardo and the iPhone are not paired to each other. Phone calls work fine but I do not get an audio alert or ring when there’s an incoming call. I see the call on the XT’s screen, answer and converse just fine. If I’m not looking at the XT however, I’ll have no audio notification of an incoming call. I’ve noticed this happening when I’m listening to music on the XT’s SD card. Not sure if the same thing happens when listening to music on the phone such as via the XM app, phone memory or Pandora. I’ve also got Garmin Drive running on my phone. Navigation prompts work fine, muting the music when they occur. Is there a setting I missed somewhere? Scratching my head.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
danham
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 88 times
United States of America

Re: Can’t hear phone ring

Post by danham »

Before diving down the Bluetooth rabbit hole, check the ringer volume on the iPhone.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have a similar configure as Jeff (IPhone SE to XT & Cardo Palktalk to XT). I hear a single ding when a call comes in. The XT is saying "Hey, look at me". I can see how that ding could be missed when listing to music.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
wjbertrand
United States of America

Post by wjbertrand »

danham wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:26 pm Before diving down the Bluetooth rabbit hole, check the ringer volume on the iPhone.

-dan
Thanks, forgot to mention phone volume is maxed all the way up already.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
wjbertrand
United States of America

Post by wjbertrand »

Peobody wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:00 pm I have a similar configure as Jeff (IPhone SE to XT & Cardo Palktalk to XT). I hear a single ding when a call comes in. The XT is saying "Hey, look at me". I can see how that ding could be missed when listing to music.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t even hear any kind of ding. My old zumo 550, set up identically, would pipe through the actual ring tone, even custom ones, to my Cardo.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
danham
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 88 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

wjbertrand wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:35 pm
danham wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:26 pm Before diving down the Bluetooth rabbit hole, check the ringer volume on the iPhone.

-dan
Jeff,

The phone volume and ringer volume are two different settings on some iPhones. The former adjusts how loud the voice on the call sounds; the latter obviously adjusts the ringer. That's how it is on my SE, not sure about yours.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
wjbertrand
United States of America

Post by wjbertrand »

danham wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:42 pm
wjbertrand wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:35 pm

-dan
Jeff,

The phone volume and ringer volume are two different settings on some iPhones. The former adjusts how loud the voice on the call sounds; the latter obviously adjusts the ringer. That's how it is on my SE, not sure about yours.

-dan
Yes, of course, this is understood. Poor explanation on my part. To rephrase then; the ringer volume is maxed out.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
wjbertrand
United States of America

Post by wjbertrand »

I did some experimentation today. What I found was that if the music source is selected as from the XT (via the SD) card, the ring tone does not come through, even if the music is paused. If I change the source to the phone, such as from Pandora or XM radio, then the ring tone comes through loud and clear. Wondering why the music source selection should have an effect on the phone's ring tone? Seems like a bug to me. I've opened a ticket with Garmin as the chap on the phone couldn't figure it out either.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
jfheath
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 660 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

A random thought. Is there a difference between an inbuilt ring tone and a customised one ?

A customised one might be playing an mp3 file as if it is music.
I don't know whether or not inbuilt ring tones do the same.

Just a thought.

A little later:

Ok - I'm getting the bike ready for a ride tomorrow, and checked this out.

With the smartphone phone paired to the XT, and the Headset paired to the XT, I rang my smartphone from the house phone.

I heard my smartphone start to ring its normal repeated cycle of 4 short rings, a pause and then another 4. Not through the headset - this was from the phone.

The XT popped up a message in the right hand side of the navigation window telling me who the call was from and showed two buttons - Answer and ignore. This appeared within about 1/4 of a second of the first ring on the smartphone.

After the second cycle of 4 rings (about 2 seconds), the XT started ringing in my headphones. It was not the same ring that the phone was sending out - this was a repeated long single ring. Brrrrrrinnnnng pause Brrrrrrinnnnng - this is an XT ring, this sound didn't come from the phone.

It appears to be produced by a WAV file called 006-D2484-00.wav in the .System/BTM/ folder of the XT.

It only does a few of these before the phone automatically answers.

Previously with phones, I have had to set it up t answer automatically when connected to BT. I don't recall having had to do ti with the Android phones.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
wjbertrand
United States of America

Post by wjbertrand »

Interesting. Don’t know if making a custom sound into a ring tone converts it to a WAV file or not, but I think so?

I don’t hear any ring at all if I’m listening to music from the XT’s SD card, even if I let it go until the phone goes to voice mail. I do see the same notice on the right side of the display that you mention. I don’t think it’s ever automatically answered, other than going to voice mail.
If listening to a music source from the phone I can hear both custom and default ring tones as normal.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA