Imported route split?

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Imported route split?

Post by sprint »

Bit the bullet and spent literally hours using Basecamp to plan a route and then imported it to my 346. (Basecamp is without doubt the most horrible and user unfriendly software package I have ever used)

Total route is around 125 miles and being made up of several roads I used around 70 waypoints.

However, on exporting it to the 346 I find that it has been split into two routes rather that one single route? Message states that this because it has more that 29 waypoints?

Is that the reality of these Sat Nav's that you can't use more than 29 waypoints in a route without it being split into more that one route?
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: Imported route split?

Post by Stu »

you need to use shaping points rather than waypoints :)

if you double click the route then right click on some of the waypoints in the new window that will open you can change them to shaping points

if you haven't already then check this thread out viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12 I learn't a lot through watching videos :)
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Twenty nine points in a route is an awful lot, cant recall exceeding 10 in any of my routes. As Stu says use shaping points, I've never tested it but been assured you can have up to 125 between viapoints!

Shaping points are better anyway as you can skip them should you wish to far more easily. Viapoints should be used for points you have to visit, eg fuel or lunch stops :)

BaseCamp is pretty easy once you've mastered it ;) and the tutorial in the thread Stu has linked to is worth reading.
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

Thanks for the replies.

Since this my first Sat Nav and attempt with Basecamp there is clearly a bit of a learning curve.

Not aware that I have ever seen anything about the specific use of waypoints vs shaping points but will look too follow your suggestions about changing them to shaped point? (How much hair will I have after trying/doing that!)

Again, was not aware that there is a limit to the number of waypoints you can use but now that I am I will look to restrict their use to just one or two per road rather that the more liberal 3 or 4 that I had used.

As a second question.

Once the route is done it can be exported and saved as a GPX file on my PC. As a GPX file can that then be loaded into any Sat Nav, Tomtom etc, or can it only be loaded into another Garmin?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes you can export it as a gpx file, just click on File then Export on the toolbar. It'll work on any Garmin and should on others that accept gpx files, but not all gpx files are the same so you'd need to check.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sprint wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:53 pm Bit the bullet and spent literally hours using Basecamp to plan a route and then imported it to my 346. (Basecamp is without doubt the most horrible and user unfriendly software package I have ever used)

Total route is around 125 miles and being made up of several roads I used around 70 waypoints.

However, on exporting it to the 346 I find that it has been split into two routes rather that one single route? Message states that this because it has more that 29 waypoints?

Is that the reality of these Sat Nav's that you can't use more than 29 waypoints in a route without it being split into more that one route?
For BaseCamp beginners I always say- Do Not Create A Route! It will drive you crazy!!

Pick your start, pick your destination, escape button & let BaseCamp "make" the route. Now, using the move, insert & erase tools modify the route to be the way you want it. Some people use the "rubber band" method but I never did so I still don't. And, EVERY SINGLE TIME you complete a mod, click the hand tool. In the beginning, DO THIS! Trust me, it will save more hours of frustration. If you watch the newenglandriders video tutorial it is perfectly clear. If you try to "make" the route point by point, you will spend hours upon hours only to end up frustrated. When you use the editing tools, shaping points are used, not way points. People are pretty lax about terminology sometimes but this is important! I use waypoints very sparingly, usually only for a start point and/or destination to keep from having to search a map for a spot more than once. And again, the newenglandriders tutorial shows the simple method of turning off "point announcement" so (if you are an audio listener of instructions) you don't constantly hear the gps yakking at you for every point you pass.

sprint wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:32 am Once the route is done it can be exported and saved as a GPX file on my PC as a GPX file can that then be loaded into any Sat Nav, Tomtom etc, or can it only be loaded into another Garmin?
Yes. I created a folder in Documents named BASE CAMP ROUTES on my PC. I'm anal that way, I want to be able to find files later. Click on the route (on the left) in BaseCamp you want to export. Then FILE/EXPORT/EXPORT filename. A window pops up, pick where you want it to go, what you want to name it, the type of file extension you want it to have. SAVE.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

Stu wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:19 pm you need to use shaping points rather than waypoints :)

if you double click the route then right click on some of the waypoints in the new window that will open you can change them to shaping points

if you haven't already then check this thread out viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12 I learn't a lot through watching videos :)
Have tried to follow your suggestion of making some of the waypoints shaping points?

However, I do not see/find any means that you can convert them when I right click? I am clearly missing something here?
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

Have tried to follow your suggestion of making some of the waypoints shaping points?

However, I do not see/find any means that you can convert them when I right click? I am clearly missing something here?
A Stu indicated you can do this by double-clicking the route. That will open a window showing the via points along with other information. Left click on the via point (row) you want to change to a shaping point. One of the choices have is "Don't Alert on Arrival (shaping point)". This is the 4th choice from the top of the window that opens with the right click.
Last edited by Wingstyle on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

[mention]sprint[/mention] it shows up as don't alert on arrival

Sorry I should have been more clear!
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

Thanks.

I sussed it in the end.

Changed them all to Shaped points, apart from start and end, and it now loads in one go.

Notice that the Basecamp millage is about 5 miles shorter than the Garmin so there is a potential error somewhere? Is this something I need to find and sort out?