Can't control range of search function

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Re: Can't control range of search function

Post by jfheath »

I'm not a fan of the Basecamp search function, and it drove me mad for a long time. Many of the places in Spain that I found using it turned out to be (very) incorrectly placed. However, it was still useful because the name, address and phone number were all recorded correctly, and I do still use it.

I always check with Google Street View - especially for locations of hotels, campsites and other destinations so that I can ride along the roads to see what I can expect; to make sure that the plotted place is somewhere that I can park the bike. Often different directions are required to get to the car park; to read (and translate) the road signs / parking restrictions / pedestrain access.

But I did discover that the search function only searches the area of the map that is displayed on the screen. It takes forever if you are zoomed out a long way, but if you zoom in to show just a small area, then you get to see how it works without having to wait a long time for the results. Zoom out a bit and perform the same search, and you get more results. Inititially, I get 5 results of three different searchs (my data; Garmin database; Yelp). But there is a button to press which says 'More...' which expands the list of whichever one you choose - and numbers them to match the numbered markers on the map.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:41 am I'm not a fan of the Basecamp search function, and it drove me mad for a long time. Many of the places in Spain that I found using it turned out to be (very) incorrectly placed. However, it was still useful because the name, address and phone number were all recorded correctly, and I do still use it.
Same here in the U.S. The XT is just as bad. On the way home I used the Up Ahead feature to look for a lunch stop. It showed a Diner off the next exit which I thought was odd because it was an unpopulated area. Sure enough, the location of the supposed "Diner" was a three-bay metal building. There is no way it was ever a Diner.
jfheath wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:41 am I always check with Google Street View - especially for locations of hotels, campsites and other destinations so that I can ride along the roads to see what I can expect; to make sure that the plotted place is somewhere that I can park the bike. Often different directions are required to get to the car park; to read (and translate) the road signs / parking restrictions / pedestrain access.
Ditto on that!
jfheath wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:41 am But I did discover that the search function only searches the area of the map that is displayed on the screen.
Mine doesn't. In fact, I used to be able to use the Zoom tool to select and area, like the gray area of a town, and that area would become the displayed area but not anymore. It just zooms the displayed in somewhat, centering the selected area. If I use Ctrl+wheel mouse to zoom in, there is a point where the search function works better but there are always many hits that are outside of the display area. I just did a search with the display area containing the area of a small town. Zoom level was .2 miles. The search was for Food and Drink All Subcategories. It produced 3 hits in the list but 18 showing in the display area. A refresh of the list (not Find More Items) then showed 38 hits, still with only 18 in the display area.
That same search at .5 mi. produced the same results but with 11 hits outside the display area.
At .7 mi zoom, 35 hits in the list with 7 outside of the display area.
At 1 mi zoom, 34 hits in the list but 49 balloons in the display area. The Find More Items button increased the list to 38 items but clicking it again didn't change that nor did refreshing the list. I could not find a way to list the other 11.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 114 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I only use the Basecamp search for a specific name, like a city, road, or business name. That will usually find what I'm looking for if it is within the window.

Searching for a category like "restaurant" or "hotel" produces too many incorrect results. Just in my local area, a restaurant search turns up two listings for the same bakery, a warehouse for a water softener company, a diner that closed two years ago, and a residence. I know of four actual restaurants in the windowed area that were not found. Yelp! results are a little better but they do not include all of the possible results. Google just works better for a general search term.

I've found that all I need to zoom is the mouse wheel, or the keyboard +/- keys. Adding the control, alt, or shift keys does not change the way the mouse zooms the map.
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

lkraus wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:58 am I only use the Basecamp search for a specific name, like a city, road, or business name. That will usually find what I'm looking for if it is within the window.

Searching for a category like "restaurant" or "hotel" produces too many incorrect results. Just in my local area, a restaurant search turns up two listings for the same bakery, a warehouse for a water softener company, a diner that closed two years ago, and a residence. I know of four actual restaurants in the windowed area that were not found. Yelp! results are a little better but they do not include all of the possible results. Google just works better for a general search term.

I've found that all I need to zoom is the mouse wheel, or the keyboard +/- keys. Adding the control, alt, or shift keys does not change the way the mouse zooms the map.
In all the discussions I've seen about "gps or phone" I always reply "both"- the gps to get there and the phone for finding things when I do. To me the phone maps don't work well enough and Garmin's searching is horrible.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A